1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what time do I stop hoping for a day of work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by japonicabean, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I am very new to supply have had half a day pre booked so far and I am not complaining at all. But was just wondering what time I give up hoping for some work? I am down to do day to day supply and don't really know what to expect. I have been teaching for 5 years and have moved from full time work to supply as I just needed a bit of a break. Not worried about how much work I get just don't want to miss any that is offered.

Thank you for your advice
    JB

2. I am very new to supply have had half a day pre booked so far and I am not complaining at all. But was just wondering what time I give up hoping for some work? I am down to do day to day supply and don't really know what to expect. I have been teaching for 5 years and have moved from full time work to supply as I just needed a bit of a break. Not worried about how much work I get just don't want to miss any that is offered.

Thank you for your advice
    JB

3. craigblade

craigblade New commenter

I usually get up around 7.30 , have my breakfast and a cuppa then sit around untill around 9.30, then if there is no call i take myself off to the gym!!! Do not let it rule your life , try to be independant of it , if possible.
    One thing i would say though , as i have found , is preperation is the key. The last thing you want when you have 5mins to get out the house is to start finding , cleaning and ironing clothes!!!
    And as a PE teacher , that also takes classroom work , my bedroom side is a pile of different clothes in the mornings!!

4. Thank you...very helpful advice. I am primary but I think it is great to be prepared, and will do that. I am trying not to let it rule my life but I think it will take me some time to get used to it.[​IMG]

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You do not state how many agencies you are registered with. You may find you get more work if you are registered with more than one agency. You will also probably find that once you get started some schools will ask for you back and you will get busier.
    Keep checking the forums as there is plenty of sound advice here.

Best wishes for your new venture.

6. I'm always up and ready to leave the house within 5 minutes of getting a call. Work clothes on, bag ready and snacks in fridge easy to put in lunch bag to keep me going through day. I would love it if all calls were before 8.15 but have had calls as late as 9.30 for a full days work. I used to panic about getting to school on time but with the very late calls I've learned to go calmly, you can only get there as soon as you can and generally schools are understanding if you've had a late call. If I haven't had a call by 9.30 I change my clothes and either get on with household chores or go out and enjoy the free time!

7. I usually get calls by 8am but have been known to get them as late as 9. I am always washed and dressed by 7.30 just in case and then go and have my breakfast. I can always grab and take it with me if I need to leave immediately.

8. I am only registered with one agency at the moment, as I say only really feeling my way at the moment.
    Just to say thank you so much for your advice....I think I will be in shock when and if the phone rings...and then the butterflies will kick in....

I will keep reading....
    Another quick question someone suggested today that I phone agency and ask them for work as well as waiting for the call to come. Is this a good idea or will that just annoy them?

Thanks again

9. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

If I don't have anything booked in I ring 3 or 4 times a day. I don't think it annoys them.

10. I did just that and had to get changed again after a call at 9.40am. But it was so worth it to get in front of a class after such a long time.

11. Some great points here, just a small thing have a post it pad and pen by the phone to jot down the details. as navigation and getting to the school is part of the game.
    An excellent point is if is a really late call to go to a school, be calm dont rush.