1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What time are your meetings?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by ulutoo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ulutoo

ulutoo New commenter

Full BoG meetings at our school are always held straight after school. Great for the staff governors but not so good for parent and other governors who have to take time off work, arrange childcare etc.
    How common is this? How does it work at your school?

2. ulutoo

ulutoo New commenter

Full BoG meetings at our school are always held straight after school. Great for the staff governors but not so good for parent and other governors who have to take time off work, arrange childcare etc.
    How common is this? How does it work at your school?

3. Our meetings are 6:30

I would be very unhappy if they were earlier than that.

At a different school I used to be governor at they had some meetings during the day - and I believe it was to deliberately discourage working people from being govs (as they were more likely to be confident enough to challenge the HT)

4. Our full Governing Body meetings are held at 5.00pm.
    Two of the sub committees are held alternately morning and afternoon

5. Full GB meetings 6;30 - 8:00
    Most committees in school time, some at 5:00 (before full meetings)

6. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

All GB meetings at our school, either full or sub committee start at 6pm, unless there is an agreement to vary this by all the members, which at the moment only applies to the recruitment panel.

7. ulutoo

ulutoo New commenter

Thank you all. I think I'll speak to the Chair about this. At least 3 non-staff members couldn't make the last meeting because of this.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Possibly not even great for them - Our staff like to get something to eat before a meeting ...

9. Full GB meetings are at 7PM.
    Subcommittee meeting times vary according to the needs of the committee members. Currently, one meets at 7pm, one at 6:30pm, and one at 5pm. All on different days of course.

The idea is to make it possible for the maximum number of governors to attend, and if a governor can't make a time due to prior commitments, I think we should make allowances as much as possible for that.