1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What things are people preparing now to save them time in September?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jo_998, Aug 3, 2009.

1. I am starting to apnic a bit about September - maybe because i'm starting a new school, there is no opportunities to go into school and get organised and i don't even have a class list - so i can't get things ready liek taht.
    What re people getting ready?? I would like to be organised for September?

I'll start
    Obviously - some planning!!
    Ordered the support for spelling document to have a look at and get head around.
    I am making some tick sheets for assessent - linked to APP - so i dont have to trail through 30 children's sheets everytime i assess something.

What else??

2. I am starting to apnic a bit about September - maybe because i'm starting a new school, there is no opportunities to go into school and get organised and i don't even have a class list - so i can't get things ready liek taht.
    What re people getting ready?? I would like to be organised for September?

I'll start
    Obviously - some planning!!
    Ordered the support for spelling document to have a look at and get head around.
    I am making some tick sheets for assessent - linked to APP - so i dont have to trail through 30 children's sheets everytime i assess something.

What else??

3. Don't worry. I have my class list but half my class I know nothing about and the other half just sketchy details. (two classes being split !).
    Just have some basic ideas as to how to start them off eg News, All about me, number bonds, partitioning, addition and subtraction, class rules etc will take few days.
    I used to spend summers planning ahead (waste of time)
    Enjoy your summer - you will be fine !.
    My first class as an NQT was a class of 39 children Year 4/5 children. I started three weeks into the term ( The teacher recruited to take the class quit after 2 weeks !) A long story (class had gone through 7 supplies year before and the teacher in the last few weeks of the summer term refused to have them in september and the person who replaced her lasted 2 weeks.
    The class had no books to write in and no displays were up
    Do some basic displays appropriate to the Year group

4. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

I'm in exactly the same situation and all I'm able to do is laminate their name labels for pegs, drawers etc! So what I've done is prepare a list of what I can do when I go into school:
    -make target boards for literacy and maths
    -put up a number line
    -stick on their drawer labels and peg labels
    -get their "goals board" ready
    -seating plan
    After that I just need to wrap my head around the school routines, APP, Guided Reading, all the staff names... oh, and the fact I'm going to be a first-time SENCO... hehehehe [​IMG] No point panicking, just one week at a time. Good luck in your new school!

5. First half term planning for eng, num and topics.

6. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

Superkings, your posters are fantastic and could be used in any year group. Thanks for all your hard work

7. What am I preparing?
    Nothing! I am enjoying my school holidays and making the most of them. School can wait.

8. Hi superkings great posters, but I always like the kids to make their own posters with classroom rules on. It's a great way for the kids to get involved in rule making and a nice, simple first day activity!

9. Good idea for children to make their own rules posters. I also get them to contribute to the rules - gives them more ownership and a point of reference, when needed, that they made up the rules. [​IMG]

10. Hi
    I'm an NQT about to start with a mixed class of 3/4. I'm panicing a bit about APP... can i possibly have a look at the tick sheets you have made, Jo_998? I haven't got a clue where to start!

11. i have put tick sheets in resources

12. I've left my class list and groupings in school so i cant do anything and curriculum is child led this year so cant plan what we're teaching until we start....means a very relaxing holiday!!!!!! [​IMG]

13. Having read a few posts from teachers moving schools I'm starting to panic a bit now[​IMG]

I'm a classroom assistant in a class of 4 and 5 year olds and am getting a new teacher this September who is also new to the school. I popped up into the school yesterday as I had bought a few things for the classroom and wanted to leave them ip there instead of cluttering up the house, and asked the principle if it would be possible for a class list for September so I could do some work at home.
    I have all their cloakroom names, job names, art names and book names done, aswell as their names for their homework folders and a few other stuff done, and no offence to the new teacher but I just done what I do every other year. I was thinking along the lines that if I had these done for when I went back to school, It would give me a chance to get to know the teacher better aswell as sorting through all the resources that we already have. I never thought I would be stepping on her toes or her thinking that I was taking over[​IMG] I thought I was getting ahead and now I'm panicing incase the teacher now thinks that I am a control freak and am taking over.
    Now I'm thinking that I picked up these few things on Sunday for the room and what is she going to think. I suppose I could be sneaky and let on they have been there all year.
    I had a few things to do on my computer tomorrow and was going to buy something that myself and the teacher last year tried for 2 years to get and I managed to find it yesterday, Now I don't want to get it incase the teaher doesn't want it. I'll not do the rest of the computer work either now till I wait to the end of august.

14. Grainne09 I would love a ca like you!!!!
    We have a girl who is fab but she floats between room so gets lots of jobs from everyone so I often feel bad when asking her to do ssomething extra. If the new teacher has any common sense she'll be delighted that you've saved her time and that you're keen to help!!

15. Wow, wish you worked with me!

16. I find it really hard to switch off in the holidays and have already spent a week in school as I've changed classrooms and have gone from Year 6 to Year 1, so loads new for me. Also am part of SLT and am mentoring too, so want to get ahead of the game. Classroom just about ready, another week at the end of the holiday should see my plans ready too.

17. I'm the same as talbot271, I try to get ahead so I have an easy return to work. I'm having renovation work done on my house this summer, so am using the time to pre-plan some of the topics and lessons for next year. I've also been into school, all of the staff have, as we all moved year groups this year, so have all had to start from scratch. If I was in the same year group or classroom I would be doing less work though.

18. I'm a control freak so this would really p*ss me off if I didn't know it was being done. Poor lass could have been sat at home making special class names and laminating them etc and you have done it already.