1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What the teacher recruitment crisis really means

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's the other side of the teacher retention crisis, the legacy from years of devaluation and disempowering of the role of teacher has finally worked its way through to recent graduate cohorts. Young people aren't stupid, they don't want to spend their entire careers being treated the way they, their parents and their Society treated their teachers. A sure indictment of allegedly progressive, child-centred education reforms.

I'm sure that there must be other interpretations which don't get much voce. Please feel free to add yours.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd say it is more an indictment of OfSTED, League Tables, PRP, continually meddling Governments of all colours and Gove.

irs1054 likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's interesting... I suspect Vince may be a smidge older than me [40] but when he talks about progressive, child-centric education reforms... I just think 'teaching'... because most likely that is all I've known in the last decade [started 2002].

I do wonder what it was like in the time before 'the change'.

See, politically I guess I identify as 'progressive' ... but clearly in this context the world means something different.

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"Choose not to be harmed—and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed—and you haven’t been.". Marcus Aurelius

If you properly research teaching as a prospective career you will come across the retention problem. Then perhaps ask yourself why so many people leave. People tend not to pick situations that may harm them.

lanokia likes this.
  5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I agree with this and would go further that it is the continual increase in demands of requiring schools to do this and then that which eventually degrades the system and makes it not fit for purpose.

A glaring example of this was in the 90s with the skin cancer fears. One charity rep appeared on TV to suggest that all primary school teachers should 'butter up' their pupils before break and lunchtime if the sun was shining. I mean, can you imagine?

This is not new it is something all governments over the years have been prone to.

A good example is from the 19th century in the form of the French battleship Hoche and her sisters.(This just to show that this is not a new problem)[​IMG]
    She was built at a time of rapid change and took 12 years to build from1880. Whilst building one department would add something to the design, another would add something else, things would be changed and so on. The result was nicknamed "The Grand Hotel" because of the opulence of her accommodation. She was so top-heavy she could barely go to sea and would have probably capsized, had she tried to manoeuvre at high speed. In short the additions made her useless for her intended purpose. All through, there was no indication that her designers ever realised the consequences of their actions.

In the same way as with the ship, I think the education system is being made useless for its core purpose as a result of the additions piled upon it. Teachers are expected to do too many things and, as a result, are becoming useless (not their fault) at their core purpose. In the same way the instigators of all this, the politicians, are in complete denial and ignorance of the consequences of their actions.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not convinced it's the child centred bit - at least not the properly done child centred ideas. It's more the deluge of anti-teacher stuff in the media and from the Government, the anti-retention policies of some school managers, the perceptions of ofsted, the avalanche of data, the magical marking dialoguesand the rest.
    Having said that, some of the more foolish notions of empowering young folk beyond their intellectual and emotional capacity have not helped.

7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I think there is some conflation here of retention with recruitment.

Personally, I wonder why the general public thinks there is a recruitment crisis. Do they suppose teachers are just dropping like mayflies, or being abducted en masse by aliens?

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Love any post which manages to get such an excellent (but totally relevant) piece of esoteric history into its argument! Well done!

The last paragraph hits the nail on the head....

needabreak likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wow you know an awful lot about ships! But the analogy works *even though I skim read most of it.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Fair point.
    I think the retention crisis is rather simpler to explain. The environment in which many teachers have to work is becoming so toxic (an overused word in these threads, including by me, but so apt) that existing staff are either being pushed out or jumping ship before they are pushed.

When NQTs are being told to produce outstanding lessons (or else) and more experienced teachers are denied pay progression because of impossible targets and very experienced teachers are being put on capability for ills of the school then retention problems must surely follow.

ScotSEN and Yoda- like this.
  11. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

People I have spoken to who aren't teachers, seem to fall into two groups. Firstly, those who are unaware of a recruitment crisis and who think teachers are just exaggerating which is backed up by regular comments in the press from an unnamed DFE spokesperson saying, 'there has never been a better time to be a teacher'. The other group is those who think that if teachers are leaving the profession, then they are the **** ones who could't hack it anyway-I've heard them be described as 'dead wood'.

The general public seem to not be on our side and striking only goes to demonstrate what workshy lefites we are who don't give two hoots about their child's education. We also personally impose holiday fines to stop people have cheap holidays!

irs1054 likes this.
  12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

irs1054 likes this.
  13. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

We had this back in the days of Thatcher, when it was thought that the poor teachers would go elsewhere to leave the best behind. Of course, even then it would be the best teachers leaving because they could find employment elsewhere. (for a time in the 80s teachers were actively recruited by some private employers who recognised the skills they could bring) with the remaining teachers being the ones who were so bad they couldn't move or ones who didn't care. Fortunately this scenario didn't have a big effect. Of course this was also the time when the NASUWT managed to convince the public at large that teachers only worked 25 hours per week.

Not only is the system breaking but we are in a propaganda war with the political establishment.