1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What the h*ll is national cupcake week?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

<table id="yui_3_2_0_1_1316016377161105" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr>
    <td align="left">[​IMG]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="left"><font color="ffffff" face="Trebuchet MS,Arial,Sans-Serif">Ready, steady, bake</font>!

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="left">[​IMG]</td>
    </tr>
    <tr id="yui_3_2_0_1_131601637716199">
    <td id="yui_3_2_0_1_131601637716196" style="line-height:16px;padding-bottom:5px;" align="left">If
    you need an excuse to don your apron and roll up your sleeves &ndash;
    National Cupcake Week and BBC 2&rsquo;s Great British Bake Off are here to
    provide just that.

</td></tr></table>

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I had never heard of it before, but I think it is a very worthy event!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

The only annoying aspect of it is the fact that it's bloody cupcakes. Hasn't the world had enough of bloody cupcakes? Why cupcakes anyway? Why some trendy American invention and not something truly British and Great?
    Why not just Cake Week?
    Or Victoria Sponge week?
    Or Lardy Cake week?
    Or Scone Week?
    Or Sticky Bun Week?

Is it just me who thinks cupcakes are hugely overrated?

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

What I don't understand is the fascination with having 'National Whatever Week'. Can someone explain that to me?
    Whatever next?
    National frozen pea week?
    National Mars Bar vs Snickers week?
    National Silicone Baking Tray week?

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Surely it's National fairy cake week!!

7. Yes Lapin. I hate the 'cupcake' term.
    Fairy cakes, butterfly cakes, small cakes - much better.

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

No, you're not the only one. the very sight of them turns my stomach!
    Unfortunately, they're starting to try to come into the French market (mainly in Paris but in other big cities too) Saw someone on a programme the other day showing how to make them- she has a shop in Paris selling them but made a point that her cake base had yogurt in so as to reduce the fat content there. The guests refused to try the finished product as it was " too greasy, too sweet and sickly". Luckily she also makes a savoury version with ricotta, herbs and dried ham/smoked salmon.
    I've never eaten a "cupcake" but I've had the more traditional butterfly type etc. I honestly don't think I'd like them.

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

My main problem with them is the sickly icing that makes up at least a third of the cake. They end up just tasting of sugar.
    More than a little twee as well.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

...although we can make exceptions for cinnamonsquare's creations on the photo thread which are works of art!

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Can't we just have a National Cake week, every week?

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Or National Cake Day........every day?

13. cinnamonsquare

I was keeping quiet after reading all the criticism! I do agree that they seem to be flooding the market now though (especially as people seem to be bemused that I want a traditional tiered wedding cake and not a cupcake tower).
    I also agree that there can be far too much icing - I like to make a nice big cake base with just a swirl of buttercream on the top - not a tower piled so high it almost falls over. Hate it when you bite into a cake and get icing up your nose!
    (I do wish the fondant/sugarpaste modelling stuff tasted nicer though [​IMG])

14. I can't understand this facination with cupcakes. I also hate the sickly icing on top, I'd much rather have more cake in my fairy cake! (Or bun as we call them round here!)

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I think our main gripe was the term 'cupcake', they are just what we all used to make but as fairy cakes!! It's the Americanisation of a traditional British food that offends most of us, I think!!
    Like muffin, well to me a muffin is something you split in half, toast, butter and eat, not a cake!!

16. In Yorkshire cupcakes are buns...muffins are bread...end of!

17. Sorry but cupcakes are now irreperably associated for me with Daily Mail articles about smug women quitting their high powered city job and still putting their four children (named Oliver, Alexander, Poppy and Olivia) through private school by the power of icing, flour and a bit of flim-flam. They always have an Aga as well... and decorative twigs.
    I hope the cupcake fad dies off soon to be replaced by something more substantial - I propose either drizzle cake, or muffins... proper proper cake and not this fluffy mounds of icing disgusing a pathetic excuse for a cake.

18. Oooooh and seed cake! I love seed cake! That's a proper cake!

19. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I propose coffee and walnut cake week. I could happily live off coffee and walnut cake.
    Or apple cake. Apple cake is da shizzle.

20. cinnamonsquare

Agreed!
    (I'm assuming "da shizzle" is a good thing? Now I'm in my 30s (or 20s+!) I really have no idea...)