1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What texts are people choosing for the new A-levels?

Discussion in 'English' started by leslie1984, Jun 17, 2015.

1. We're starting to think about texts for the new A-levels. We're with AQA and are thinking of Tess... what are other people doing?

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Year 12 set 1: The Mill on the Floss with The Great Gatsby. Then pre-1900 anthology and The Winters Tale

Year 12 set 2: Jane Eyre and The Great Gatsby. Same anthology with Othello.

Year 13 (both sets): everything apart from the Victorian texts.

We haven't decided on the WW1 texts as we don't need to. So I'm letting our department who teach A level Lit read a few texts between us over the summer and year, then we'll come to a team decision by March 2016.

3. I love Tess! We're doing Tess, Othello and Death of a Salesman for Tragedy. For the Political and Social Writing paper we are doing A Doll's House, Blake and The Kite Runner. I can't wait to start teaching the course!

For the Language and Literature A level our Year 12 texts are Frankenstein and Duffy, with The Great Gatsby and Streetcar Named Desire in Year 13.

Are you on Twitter? I set up a shared Dropbox so that teachers could share resources and planning for the new specs.

@VeronicAmb - you set your A level classes? We'd never get away with that at my school! Does it make a big difference in terms of attainment for students with target grades of Cs and below?

4. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

How do you get a login for the Dropbox? I'd be interested in sharing resources as we're doing Frankenstein and Duffy for the combined course. I'm busy thinking about the Paris anthology at the moment and will be planning Frankenstein over the holidays. Could you pm me about the Dropbox please.

5. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

I'm starting at a new school come September and we are embarking on WJEC for A-Level as that's what the other schools in teh area are doing. However, there is a distinct lack of resources about. We are virtually a new department and so we wont be making major decisions until September but I am thinking that I will prep some resources for a general intro to the study of Lit

6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

We've changed our texts a little now. Set 1: Mill on the Floss and The Go Between and set 2 will be the latter and Atonement.

The combined course: WJEC and we'll be studying The Colour Purple, A Streetcar Named Desire, Antony and Cleopatra and In Cold Blood. Coursework will be The Moonstone alongside Lady Audleys Secret but the latter will be optional for students.

@bwright22 - we only set our a level lit classes - we don't set our Lang, combined or media & film a level classes. We base our a level sets on GCSE results and it works excellently and it's the best idea I created when I first became HoD five years ago. When we never had sets, C grade and below students were just failing to keep up with the required demands of a level esp the a2. So we had at first sets for a2, then we managed to bring sets in AS too. This means it's almost like we have an extra year to develop and push that c to a b or that d to a c in second sets.

Our students in 1st set usually show they are widely read and have that writing skill from year 10 onwards but 2nd set students find themselves still developing their writing skills which is why we broke the a level down into two tiers just so we can focus on general "set" skills, instead of rushing the students who weren't yet ready. Also, the texts choice is way easier now we have more flexibility between two sets.

7. Hi there @bwright22. We have chosen the exact same texts for Paper 1 and 2. We also are going to be doing Elements of Political and Social Protest writing. I have already started planning the Othello unit, and we have a full scheme on Kite Runner. Would I be able to access the shared Dropbox you have mentioned and I am happy to contribute all of our resources?

Many thanks,

Hannah Woolerton

8. Tarantula

Tarantula New commenter

We are entering students for AS in the first instance. For the joint (AQA) course, we are doing 'The Lovely Bones' and 'Duffy'. For Literature (Edexcel) we are doing 'A Streetcar Named Desire', 'The Little Stranger', 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and the obligatory poetry anthology.

9. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Is anyone else doing AQA Lit B, doing Comedy and Crime Writing?

For comedy we're doing either Shrew or Twelfth Night, then Importance of being Earnest and the poetry.

For crime writing we're doing the poetry then Atonement and Brighton Rock.

We're adding in the coursework themes as we go - feminist readings for the Shakespeare and some of the comedy poetry, Marxist reading for Atonement etc.

Zigzag seem to be updating their resources for the new specs; we've used their materials successfully in the past. We also belong to Englishedu who are good at responding quickly to getting new material out there. As well, of course, as writing our own!

10. Hi,

We've chosen Lovely Bones, Duffy, Kite Runner and Streetcar. I was wondering if you could send me some info on how to log in to the drop box on Twitter? It sounds like a brilliant idea and am happy to share resources I have made too!

Thanks

11. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

We've chosen OCR. We're doing the Bloody Chamber Hamlet Christina Rossetti Streetcar Named Desire in Year 12 then A Doll's House Frankenstein Never Let me Go Thomas Hardy poems In Year 13. I wanted to keep the Gothic unit which OCR have. Previously taught AQA B.

12. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

I'm starting at a new college in September. We're using AQA - for GCSE we're doing power and conflict poetry, Jekyll and Hyde, Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls. For A Level we're doing Spec A. AS will include Othello, Jane Eyre, The Great Gatsby and post-1900 poetry, A2 will include Streetcar, Skirrid Hill, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Yellow Wallpaper and Hedda Gabler.