1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

What teaching union should I Join?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by katemate24, Jul 6, 2011.

1. cheers- perhaps I should have also said that NUT is the union in my school with the most members and a fantastic rep. The value was of course a bonus.

2. I joined the NASUWT for a couple of reasons:
    • I heard they tend to be less 'militant'. They were the union not to strike last Thursday, and striking is not something I feel totally comfortable about.
    • My PGCE mentor told me that their summer seminars for NQT's are more valuable than anything you are told in your PGCE year. I have just signed up to one in Cambridge- they are completely free and include overnight accommodation, breakfast and an evening meal.
    • The school I am working at is mostly NASUWT.
    ...some things for you to think about I guess!!

3. I'd recommend the NASUWT - they offer very good (and very popular - so sign up) seminars for new entrants to the profession. They are the biggest union representing teachers in the UK.
    Then again, I will lay my cards on the table, I am a lay officer of the NASUWT - president of my local association. Get involved in your local association - new blood always welcome!

4. In case you move north of the border, *don't* join the EIS. They've broken a ridiculous number of their own rules over the last year, ignored policy, failed to do things by the book and capped it all by selling us out to the government.

5. I am with NASUWT, and heard some very positive feedback about them from another teacher:

I met two teachers the other day on a CPD course. One of them said NASUWT were fantastic and couldn't do enough for her in a pretty rough legal situation with a school (the school was insinuating she was a bad teacher and they backed her all the way). The other teacher said she had been in a similar situation but she was with NUT and apparently she had to chase them until the cows came home to get the legal support she required...they gave it in the end. Recent situations, so this gives some reflection of how you may expect these unions to treat you if and when you need their support in the near future.

6. Experiences can differ from area to area though. NUT are doing a brilliant job with problems we are having in our school.
    You need to join the union whose views you agree with. Take into consideration which unions are represented in your school.

7. Thank you for all your help. I decided to join NAUSWT in the end because they appear fairly neutral and were very helpful with a query compared to the other unions. I do think there isn't much between them and you just need to go with the one that suits you best [​IMG]

8. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

I'd second the post about the NASUWT summer course (though too late for this year). Apart from having to sit through a 30 min sell of the union (which was understandable), the day was excellent, and the most useful thing of all my PGCE training.