1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What teaching standard do you struggle with the most?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sweetnsuga, Nov 8, 2019 at 6:35 PM.

1. sweetnsuga

sweetnsuga New commenter

I started my secondary PGCE in September I've done 6 lessons so far. I assumed my lesson feedback would focus on lesson planning or behaviour issues but its always on s5 and s6 so differentiation and AFL.

If you're a trainee what standards are you struggling with at the minute or the thing you need to improve the most?

2. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I'm at the same stage as you, none have been flagged so far. S5 is something that I'm very driven to make sure I achieve in everything I do, for personal and professional reasons. It's harder this early on to know how you can really excel at S6, unless they're specifically referring to within the lesson assessment of learning (i.e. are you helping everyone to access and understand the material, which is S5, so that they are achieving what you expect, and the intralesson assessment of that on the fly)

3. sweetnsuga

sweetnsuga New commenter

@stanley4shoes How can you have nothing to improve so far? You must have some targets when you get observed?

4. stanley4shoes

Nothing teaching standard focused so far is what I meant sorry, just things like include more video clips etc, there’s always room for improvement.

What classes are you independently teaching?

5. sweetnsuga

sweetnsuga New commenter

Our observation form is all based on the teaching standards so I think thats why my feedback is given in that way but I see what you mean now! I'm teaching 2 year 7 groups and 2 year 9 groups at the moment and I will be teaching 5 lessons a week next week and it will go up so I'll have another year 9 group and two more year 8 groups by Christmas.

6. stanley4shoes

I think it reflects being quite early on, everything we do is supposed to be focused on those standards as you say.