1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What teacher possessions do you keep in your home?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Is your home an extension of your classroom? What items are now firm fixtures in your home and are only there because of your job in education? Do you feel better knowing that you have a well-stocked stationery drawer? Have any items been repurposed for family use?

‘It is well-known that teachers’ work lives can all too easily seep into their home lives. Most of the time, this means marking in front of the TV or writing reports over dinner.

But the crossover can be physical, too: not only does teachers’ downtime start to feel like a non-contact period, but also their homes start looking like extensions of their classrooms.’

https://www.tes.com/news/chalk-or-gluesticks-your-most-teachery-possessions

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Nothing now that I've retired! Except for a bucketful of pens of many colours and several notebooks!

nizebaby, Jesmond12 and FrankWolley like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When the multi-coloured marking policies came in, i bought a box of Bic four colour biros. I was 'eased out' before i has used many of them. They sat around in a draw for a couple of years until i tried to use one, and found that they had all dried up, or leaked.

Marshall likes this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

When my dad was teaching he had a large metal trunk at home, full of costumes for nativity/pantomime and school productions with a large box of stage makeup / false beards and hats. Of course it was a great resource for dressing up at home too.

Dragonlady30 and Marshall like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There was a refurbishment of the science labs which led to the dumping of all the hardwood topped desks which sat outside awaiting collection. I asked if I could help myself to the tops and after getting permission set about them with my cordless screwdriver.

I ended up with about 15 hardwood desktops that once scraped clean of chewing gum from underneath (yuck) and sanded clean of graffiti, old varnish and other marks have been great for all sorts of jobs. There's two benches and a table on the deck that I made from them and we have a collection of chopping boards that have lasted years. I made chopping boards for all the departmental staff from them and gave one to a former member of my form as a wedding present as a practical reminder of her old form room. I still have about half a dozen desktops in the shed.

bonxie, Dragonlady30, nomad and 3 others like this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I thought this was a veiled version of "What have you ever nicked from school?"

nizebaby, lindenlea, knitone and 4 others like this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

When my school was majorly refurbished 16 years ago, the old teacher podium type desk was given to an old teacher and is now in the possession of a governor.

8. Jolly_Roger15

@Aquamarina1234 ; Point taken!

When I was at school, I coveted the Rolls Royce of slide rules, a Thornton, but one was way beyond my pocket. Forty years later, the maths department was cleaning out its store cupboard, bringing to light a box of Thorntons, destined for the skip. I helped myself to one; better late then never.

Similarly, at a previous school, several four-track, reel-to-reel tape recorders were thrown out. As a teenager, I had wanted one, so, again, on impulse, i took one home. I got it going, by putting in new belts, but i did not use it much, so i consigned it to the attic, where it remains.

At my first school, i found a box of Crooke's tubes, some filled with inert gases at low pressures, which glowed eerily, when a high tension current was put through them. They were masterpieces of glass-blowing, too. I 'liberated' one of these, and it too is in the attic. I have never used as I do not have a HT supply.

neddyfonk likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't want to incriminate myself...

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My 3rd bedroom is filled with bookcases with many many text books. As my school was closing I was allowed to 'liberate' unwanted textbooks... and some file paper and I helped myself to a supermarket trolley load. So I have text books on every subject known to secondary school. Add to those loads of literature texts. As a home tutor I have been called on to teach many subjects both at KS3 and 4 so many of them have come in useful. Schools are supposed to set work for their ill/excluded etc pupils but being provided with resources etc from schools is very rare.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

@HelenREMfan : I have to admit to doing the same thing. I remember liberating some old text books from school, which were the same ones that I had had, for my O levels.

Abbot: O level physics.
    Holderness & Lambert: a new certificate chemistry.
    Clynnes & Williams: general school chemistry.
    Downes & Griffith: le francais d'aujourd'hui

I have also got a few of those packets of O level essential revisions cards, you could buy in Smiths.

12. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

that's a lovely story, thanks for that

Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Nah.

I never identified as "a teacher". So I didn't have teacher-paraphernalia. And I am spectacularly uninterested in stationery. Specifically pens. Just don't care. Somewhat atypical.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Absolutely! Every poster we have in our home is hanging skewed from one blu tacked corner, and over the years I have ensured that anything that has an underneath (tables, chairs, beds, sofa, shelves) is cragged down there with solidified chewing gum. Occasionally I ask the neighbour to come in for me at 2.00 pm and empty a bin down the stairs, ready for when I get home after my horrid year 9 group.
    I also recently learnt that hiding lots of broken biros in various hard to reach places will allow a surprise "just like at school" feeling when least expected during the weekend or holidays!
    Through these professional set ups I am always guaranteed a purposeful working atmosphere at home when it comes to marking o'clock.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Ha! I jettisoned everything on retirement bar one memory stick of resources - “just in case...”
    In case of what, I am not sure.

16. smoothnewt

OMG! Abbot’s O Level Physics takes me right back to the fourth year - 1974.
    That book used to give me sleepless nights. One night the answer to a problem on forces came to me in my sleep at 3am; I just had to get up and write it down.

There are two things in life that I am proud of because they run against the grain in terms of what comes easily to me: 1: passing my driving test first time, and 2: getting a grade A in O Level Physics.

17. Jolly_Roger15

@smoothnewt : I found Abbot's O Level Physics hard going, back in 1970. At TTC, we were told that it needed a reading age of nineteen to understand it the way it was written, so it scored low on 'accessibility'.

I cannot match your achievements. I got through the driving test first time but i only got a B, in physics.:(

maggie m and smoothnewt like this.
  18. smoothnewt

Physics was the subject I ploughed the most time and effort into at O level as I found it such heavy going. What you have said about the reading age is very interesting. The only reason I did well was because in the 1975 paper there were some questions of an electro-chemistry nature and I was very good at Chemistry. Were it not for that I am sure I would have failed miserably.

I would not ordinarily have opted for Physics, but my Dad insisted: he had dreams of me becoming an engineer (he had been on a trades union delegation to Russia in 1953 and had been so impressed by the role of women in the workforce). So I dutifully did my Chemistry and Physics, but bowed out at A Level in favour of arts subjects, far closer to my natural inclinations.

Dad died early, before my daughters were born. How proud he would have been that my younger daughter kept his dream alive: she has a master's in nuclear technology and is now on a second master's in medical physics as part of her clinical scientist training. Physics came good in the end.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I did that! Chucked all the lesson plans, SoW and non-gender-non-status-specific reproducible originals (I'm not sure you can say "master-copy" anymore) but saved 1 copy of each on a stick. God knows where the stick is.

smoothnewt likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

I loved ' le francais d'aujourd'hui'. It was an audio-visual course with taped lessons, played on a large, reel-to-reel tape recorder, with an accompanying film strip.

"Numéro un, écoutez." "Numéro deux, répétez. "Numéro trois, répondez aux questions."

@smoothnewt : I am pleased to hear that your daughter has taken up the baton physics, which you dropped after O level. Our daughter did all three sciences for her GCSEs but like yours, did not pursue it beyond that.

I loved chemistry, as I liked doing the experiments. I liked physics too, but I found all the calculations a bit much, with only a slide rule as an aid. I think i would have done better at it if calculators had been around a few years earlier. Biology bored me, although i did it for A level, is it involved so much peering down a microscope and drawing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    smoothnewt likes this.