1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what support should be given to someone in the first stage of a capability procedure?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by japonicabean, May 3, 2011.

1. Just a question about how much support and what sort of support should be given if someone is on a capability procedure? Should the teacher have regular reveiews of the targets and if the targets set are met should new different targets be set? I am confused. Any advice would be gladly recieved.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Difficult to answer without knowing what the nature of capability concern is. It can involve any range of measures - retraining, specific training in an area of weakness, target setting and reviewing as frequently as the school sees purposeful, repeat observations, allowing you time to shadow best practice....

3. Thank you all that is really useful, the fact that some support should be put in place is what I wanted to find out. Capablity is being used for illness and abscence.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Then that is a bit tricky. It is hard to support someone who isn't there. OH should be involved.

5. DFE guidance is vague,

<font face="Helvetica-Bold" size="3">5 Support for the teacher
    </font>
    <font face="Helvetica" size="3">Those monitoring the performance should offer feedback and instruction to help the teacher
    improve performance. If training courses or assistance from colleagues would be helpful these
    should be arranged as soon as possible but should not interrupt the timing of the procedure.
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/Capability-guidance.pdf</font>

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed in the case of illness or absence 'capability' takes on rather a difference meaning... Your competence is not being questioned, but your ability to be able to perform and carry out your job effectively because of your health is. You should be seen by occupational health, who will collaborate with your doctors if needed to decide if your situation is manageable with some adjustments to your working environment, or not.

7. Thank you so much, this really makes sense. It explains so simply what I have been trying to find out since sepetember. Once again thanks.

8. I have decided to resign - can't go back to work now as condition has deteriorated in the last couple of months - I need about 6 months to recover and recoverr is not gauranteed. I think is the best thing to do. Union involved but everything they have suggested has been blocked. I need time off to recover and not to have this stress. I have spent last few weeks in hospital in respiratory unit and ITU it certainly brought home the seriousness of the situation.

9. .

I hadn't thought of it in that way, I have meeting this week in school and was very reluctant to go, but have been persuaded by union to go. I have been told that my county are looking to find ways to save money and will be looking at dismissal through ill health. Is this the same as capablity

Maybe this would be lovely if it happened..and I would like to go back to work in this case.

Thank you for your constructiove support I find it very useful tohave someone else's point of view especially when it is an emotive topic for me such as health and employment.

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Ask your union/CAB what the consequences are for each option. If you resign I'd guess you wouldn't be entitled to any benefits and dismissal for ill health could mean it opens up a variety of benefits. CAB or DIAL could help you look at support like DLA if appropriate. The other option is to go see an employment solicitor (first half hour free) and see if there are any other solutions.
    Make sure if you stay and go through the process that you would still be able to secure another teaching post once recovered. I'd assume you can, but I'd double check.
    Try not to stress about the process. It sounds like whatever happens you will end up leaving, so do it on your terms and not theirs.