1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What story are you using for KS1 SATS?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aandyr123, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Was wondering which story people of chosen to use for their charcter description for shorter writing task in 2009 KS1 SATS.

I was thinking about the obvious Wolf in Little red riding hood or 3 little pigs.

Any thoughts?

2. We were thinking about reading through the Elmer stories over the next few weeks and then using him.

3. A good idea. What do you think about the non-chronological report for this year? I don't think its the best idea they could have used. How are you approaching that?

I was going to do some general work on non-chronological reports in next 2 weeks. And give a homework task for this week to find out about nocturnal animals. That way we can discuss these before SATS and each child will have a good idea about what to write about when it comes to the SATS.
    I'm able to do that aren't I? As long as they don't have any of the work infront of them when they are writing their final reports.

Andy

4. Yeah, up until a fortnight before the exam you can do as much work on non-chronilogical reports and nocturnal animals as you want, just make sure you never put the two together!

5. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

<font size="2">Teacher's handbook 2009</font>
    <font size="2">page 12
    Setting up the tasks-
    For the purposes of this assessment, children should not have had any kind of information or character description writing taught or modelled for them within the previous week, although they may have been taught these as part of the key stage 1 national curriculum." </font>

6. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

I was thinking of using Mr Wolf from Mr Wolf's pancakes.

7. Could you advise - where does it say that we cannot teach non chronological reports in teh context of nocturnal animals? Thanks

8. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

It doesn't.

9. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I am going to do either the twits or the gruffalo for the actual Sats. We have already done the wild things from where the Wild things are, Princess Smartypants and Little red riding hood as practise character descriptions.
    My class love doing it and have done really well with the ones they have already done.

10. I used Room on the Broom and the children described the witch. Or that was the task anyway, most when on to retell the story!
    We practised earlier in the term describing Katie Morag, having read endless KM stories - many struggled with that as well.
    Inner London school, 90% EAL and they just don't have the depth of vocabulary to write an interesting description. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much of them?

11. I was thinking of doing the Twits too. I want something that will hook the boys in.

12. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I was thinking of Horrid Henry - we could read several stories about him in our story time sessions and do some hot-seating I thought. Then I thought we could try out a character description from the last book we read before we broke up - The Owl who was afraid of the dark - thereby sneaking in some nocturnal animal ideas? Does you think this will work?

13. We are doing the Gruffalo but thought about Horrid Henry.

14. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

I was thinking of doing The Gruffallo but I am a bit worried that they will write lots about his appearcance and not have that much to write about his behaviour/likes/dislikes etc! Any ideas as to what they could include for the other aspects?

15. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Can I ask why you decided not to use Horrid Henry? Did you think there was more mileage in the Gruffalo? I was a bit worried that the children would all just focus on physical appearance and not think about other aspects of character with the Gruffalo. Do you have some really great ideas to get around this or do you not think it's a problem?

16. No reason just made a decision to do the Gruffalo as I have alot of SEN children in my class so thought that the Gruffalo would be easier for them to do as he has so many physical characteristics that they can remember. Horrid Henry is a really good idea too :)

17. Still think he has scope to work on his personality too. His likes....... to eat animals
    His dislikes-the big bad mouse

18. I am going to do lots of talking about whether the children would like to meet him and why?/not
    Would they like to be friends with him?

19. alwayslearning

alwayslearning New commenter

We are also doing the Gruffalo in the actual writing because his physical description will be easy for my low ability children and my average children should be able to describe his obvious characteristics eg happy, polite. Hopefully my more able will pick out his trusting nature and identify the opposites between his physical appearance and character eg looks fearful, but is gentle.
    I'm building up to this work by using the Mr Men.
    lesson 1 Brainstorm -what might Mr Happy look like? Why? What actions might he do to show he is happy? How will he react others? Repeat with My Grumpy. Comment on different vocabulary.
    Lesson 2 Brainstorm new adjectives to describe people. Select one word from our new vocabulary and make it into a Mr or Miss - produce a character profile - appearance, likes,dislikes, behaviour. share character with class and put onto a display.
    Lesson 3 drama using character adjectives. e.g Imagine you are a grumpy bear- show me how big/wide you are. In pairs do something to show me the adjective. i.e a cross bear would growl loudly etc.
    Lesson 4 text based. Tell me about your main charcater and look for evidence to support your views.
    Lesson 5 - hot seat etc
    Lesson 6 write a description of the twits.
    Never done this before and although I hope it helps for their writing, my main aim is that the children have fun doing it and enjoy the work.
    Hope it helps and if you have any good ideas to improve this please let me know.

20. Ok, I'm proper confused about the timings of the SATs. If we have spent this week looking at NF reports can we do the longer task next week? Or will it be the week after? Got the moderators coming in May so don't want to make any mistakes!