1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What steps would you take if no Safeguarding Lead is available?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ictLad, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Quick question which on safeguarding. I have been in school quite late working from time to time and have wondered, what do you do if a safeguarding issue comes up and none of the safeguarding leads are available? Do you get in touch with your local LADO/MASH (our local MASH only seems to be open until 4pm)? What steps should you take if it is something urgent which might mean a student should not/can not go home.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If it's impossible to phone anyone on SLT possibly call the LA children's services emergency line for advice? That should operate 24/7 and I think all LAs are supposed to have one. There should be a duty social worker available at all times. A friend of mine was a senior children's services officer and when it was her turn to be duty senior officer she often got calls at 2 or 3 in the morning. Often from the emergency line when police had picked up a young person at risk, but I can't see why the call couldn't have come from a teacher.

bonxie and phlogiston like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Call local authority..