1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What stationery should be banned in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Cheap stationery that is of such poor quality that it is not fit for purpose, causing much of it to be wasted.

1. Paper that has greasy spots, on which you cannot write.
    2. Exercise books with furry, recycled paper, on which even biros blot.
    3. Photocopying paper that sticks together.
    4. Glue sticks that do not stick once the glue dries, and then the glue dries up to the size of a birthday cake candle.
    5. Staples that are ill-sized, and jamb.
    6. Pencils that splinter when sharpened.
    7. Biros that only will not write consistently.

racroesus likes this.
  2. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

The highlighter research i find annoying. One of my tutees last year was in a school that banned highlighters in the exam, and then banned them totally. The rules say you can't use highlighters in the answer but nothing about using them to highlight relevant bits of the question. I've found that getting students to highlight the numbers in a question, helps them to understand the question and apply the correct equation. Outright banning highlighters is just silly.

racroesus and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I also used red ink to mark. I worked on the basis that I carefully selected the tools I needed to do particular jobs but that I was a decent human being generally on the side of my pupils and my daily interactions with them would reinforce their experience of me as a decent, helpful, supportive and kind human being over code-psychological strictures on ink colour.

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Right-on Sister. Tell it like it is. Of course, silly research is more important than confronting real problems.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are kids still allowed to have weapons like this pair of compasses, that we had in my schooldays? In my junior school, the teachers handed them out.
    [​IMG]

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I bought some emoji erasers (they are quite good actually) from the shop where most things cost a pound (not W.H Smug - obviously).

A week ago I had 20 of them - they have proved so popular I have 5 left.

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I would ban the purple pen of progress. Ditto the think pink pen. Also the red pen of verbal feedback. All of them. The time stealing little ********.

blazer likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't remember ever having gluesticks at school. But then there were very few worksheets, and they were done on the Banda machine. Maybe the glue would have reacted with the chemicals.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

WH Smug is where I nicked the slide rule that the school said I needed, from. It's the only thing I ever shoplifted in my life and it will have been over fifty years ago now. There wasn't much fear of my parents forking out for one. I rationed that you might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb, so had a top of the range one, which served me well into the first few years of work, until calculators came along and were both affordable, and could be reclaimed on expenses.

WH Smug had their money back off me though, in a roundabout way. It enabled me to study sufficiently well to get a decent job, which ultimately had me commuting from Kent to London. Virtually every day I stopped off at their station shop to buy a book to read on the journey home and back again next day.

10. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

That's because they used to let us have proper glue. I remember the joys of a nice pot of PVA and the excitement when the UHU came out.

blazer likes this.
  11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Ha ha, more evidence that you are a practitioner. Happy times scraping print stick lumps off the ceiling!

sbkrobson likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted inspectors attached to their bits of paper need to be banished. Some Headteachers should be returned to the classroom.to actually teach - as some appear to be trapped in their 'stationery' as well as being 'stationary' in their chairs :rolleyes:

13. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Oooh @A_Million_Posts I used to love PVA glue too. I liked spreading it all over my hands and then picking it off once it had dried. Just writing that down makes me realise it’s slightly weird though. o_O

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually, the first time I scraped off the gobs of glue they clocked that fact the next lesson ,and interpreted that as me trying to scrape myself a victory, and thus they threw them up again at the first sign of me turning my back to arrange some Smart Board action.
    This time I didn't bother scraping the residue; the next time they came in I got them to do poster work and stuck the posters on the gobs of glue on the ceiling and they stopped their Pritt mischief as they were'nt going to go disserspektin the efforts of their mates.
    The work remained on the ceiling for years, and like the Dora helium balloon wedged in the supermarket ceiling tiles, smirked down on managers who never saw it but would have had some sort of unreasonable Defcon fit if they had.
    Too busy inspecting the vertical abomination of wrong backing paper to look any higher.

yodaami2 likes this.
  15. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Perfectly normal.
    :D

1 person likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or the bottle (glass) of runny light brown glue with the rubber 'teat' like thing on the top. Or glue made from flour!