1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What stationery should be banned in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Assistant headteacher Mark Roberts reveals what ‘beloved’ teachers’ items should not be used in schools including glue sticks, red pens and highlighters:

https://www.tes.com/news/why-its-time-ditch-your-stationery

But what stationery would you like to see banished and what could you not live without in your classes?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We don't allow Tipp-ex

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would allow my worksheets which were few, pertinent, interesting and challenging. According to an inspector considered to be the Great Satan by many teachers.
    I would allow coloured pens on occasion.
    I wouldn't allow poor publications of dubious research to be used as evidence of anything.
    Just leave me in peace and work on the basis that I am qualified and know what I am doing as evidenced by my arguing against innovations today that will be found to be rubbish next year.
    also;
    I DON'T HAVE A REPTILEAN BRAIN!

les25paul and sbkrobson like this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think you mods are wonderful.
    xxxxx

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

The article mentions glue sticks but the reasoning is really aimed at worksheets which I agree with wholeheartedly.

Definitely BAN all worksheets.

6. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

We don't need to ban the stationery. We might need to ban the author of this article for his lack of imagination.

7. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Hah, good luck trying to find an aqua blue pen when you need to mark.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, it depends on the subject, doesn't it?
    If you're teaching map skills in Geography, for example, you're going to get much further if the children have their own colours to record examples. Coloured pencils, I mean. And if you're teaching Maths, for example, then you need the right stuff to do the work. Ruler, protractor, whatever. The discussion ought to be one for Departments, not for an assistant head to "roll out" to whole school because of their inflated whimsy.
    I can't say I've ever suffered from an over-abundance of highlighter pen use. If I've taught kids who want to use highlighters, I've found it to be a symptom of somebody who is organinsed (for retaining the things from one week to the next) and attentive (for applying the things to the relevant bits). I'm not going to stamp on either of those qualities. Nor have I ever worked in a school which made their use compulsory. Do such place actually exist?
    Why does this article not make more of the kids who see no relevance in turning up with the effin basics? How many lessons are interrupted by "got no pen" or "can I borrow your sharpener?"

Not totally sure of the point of the article-why meld the issue of kid's equipment and what teachers are supposed to use to deliver their stuff? As if the fact of classroom posters (indispensable in MFL lessons for differentiation both up and down) is as irksome as the fact of one child wanting to use a highlighter.
    An actual conference was made of this weird mix by this chap. Which explains it all really-he just likes the sound of his own voice. That's fine. It might be a conference to which I am sent one day-hurrah, no classes and a professional opportunity to heckle like I'm no longer new.

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think a lot of the article is a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    [​IMG]

Like with the glue sticks instead of the worksheets, but even with worksheets there is good and bad. So what is best practice with worksheets.

And so it goes on.

I think this sort of thing goes under the moniker of challenging ingrained perceptions but if one does this one should also have the requisite "Plan B".

nomad likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd keep the gluesticks for the very nice Year 7 kids who like to stick in collage work during lunchtime because they really want to do something extra, and ban the gluesticks for the year 9s who like to remove the lids, screw the glue up to the max and then heft upwards at the ceiling so they can score points for whose falls last. (double points if it falls on a supply teacher, quadruple points if the supply teacher never returns)
    Like I said, context is all.

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Smiggle pencil cases...in fact, anything and everything Smiggle:)

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd ban stationary students. If they haven't moved in the last 5 minutes, out with them.

Nothing wrong with worksheets - an ergonomically efficient way of providing essential information in a crowded and busy computer room.

les25paul and bombaysapphire like this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Those poxy little glitter bottles. Nothing can strike more fear into a supply teacher than a lesson prepared where kids use glitter.

You can have a class of illiterates reading Shakespeare by the end of the day but that glitter lesson will ensure at least one parent will complain and worse, so will the cleaning lady.

You will not be called back.

Burn the lot of it, I say.

Dragonlady30 and les25paul like this.
  14. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Oh, I thought it was about banning the stuff kids bring in (not having read the article first...). I’d already come up with my list:
    • Clicky ball-point pens
    • Pencils with huge erasers on the end which make them top-heavy
    • Erasers shaped like cars
    • Scented gel pens (kids asking you to sniff their work - yuck!)
    • Anything covered in glitter or fluff.
    If it’s about stock for staff, I’d really just like some glue sticks. We’re so broke our stock doesn’t come until three weeks into term. My friend has had to go round scrounging pencils.

blazer likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Any pieces of paper on which are written the views of someone else as to how I should run my own classroom and whether I should be allowing the use of Pritt Sticks and highlighters (or not).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Gawd; it reads like an NQT college assignment. I’ll bet he’s a real morale booster at school:rolleyes:

A_Million_Posts and nomad like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

2000 years plus of civilisation and this is what we have to show for it o_O

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Pencils? Argos, IKEA or the local bookmakers. Plenty in there. In fact Mrs B and I popped into Argos last week and I came out with a dozen pencils! I don't even need them anymore, it was just force of habit!

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Stationery spends huge amounts of time doing nothing useful in a cupboard before entering a classroom where it quickly becomes lost.

Much like SLT.

Having recategorised SLT as stationery, I would ban them from the classroom.

:D

blazer and Mangleworzle like this.
  20. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

My inner teenage rebel is now cursing the fact we never had the ingenuity to think of doing this when we were at school (not that we'd have dared for fear of the nuns who ruled with terror and eternal damnation on their side).