1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What started you cooking?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by primarycat, Jul 20, 2019.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Nick's comments about cookbooks made me wonder how and when people began to enjoy cooking.

I grew up cooking - my dad and my mum's partner at the time had both been restaurateurs and my gran and great gran lived with us for a while. So I was surrounded by traditional and knowledgeable cooking. There are picture of me flouring fish and frying sausages over a camp fire when very young. Apparently, I once explained how to make bread sauce to a woman in the park once when I was about 4.

I was regularly cooking for the family from the age of 10 or so. I think my mum appreciated it as she's a good but reluctant cook.

nizebaby likes this.
  2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

My paternal Great-grandmother was a cook at an Oxford college, but it was my maternal Grandmother who started me with rock cakes when I was 8 and aged 9, under her supervision, I cooked my first roast chicken, after she had killed it, plucked and drawn it. I continued to cook, did exams in cookery, needlework and art, trained to teach Home Economics, studied cake decorating with Mary Ford and that's it.

primarycat likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I failed O level cookery. My older sister is a good cook and perhaps I just gave up. In the 70s/80s we used to entertain and the cooking bit was always a bit of a nightmare for me but then I got more confident and just kept things simple. These days I keep things VERY simple and also have to watch my weight so meat/fish and green veg appear a lot. I don't cook puds unless we're entertaining. Cooking for us its about simple pleasures and trying to keep healthy. Husband always says he enjoys what we eat.

With my little gang of friends we tend to take a course each or buy a takeaway. Some of the group are very good cooks so have to be patient with my efforts but my birthday lunch was salad, bought pud and cheese and that went down well enough. It was a lovely event in the garden in the sunshine. So cooking for friends for me isn't that much about the actual food - sorry - it's just part of creating an event. No one could call me a foodie.

primarycat likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

My husband becoming ill and now I have to do it all:(

I did used to enjoy it and will try to get back to it.

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That's not a great reason at all. I hope you can find some pleasure in it again.

6. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Believe it or not, you lot.

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I spent a long summer not working, but getting up,every morning for a run in the park, then watching a cookery program called ‘The Urban Peasant.’ Because it was always pretty simple stuff, I would then cook it for my housemates. After a few months of that I got pretty good. He was such a lovely guy, it was a pleasure to watch.

primarycat likes this.
  8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My mum and grandma. Both were superb cooks but TBH I cannot ever remember not cooking. Noew I develop and write recipes for a magazine I've realised how good I actually am......................not wanting to appear arrogant, but to get the feedback I get from my editors and readers, and the fact they've invested in a food stylist this year as they so enjoy my work makes me realise I'm not half bad at this cooking malarkey!

9. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

My first memories of cooking are baking with my mum and grandmother when I was very young. I imagine that's true of quite a lot of people.

BelleDuJour and primarycat like this.
  10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My first memories are of cooking with my great-grandmother, grandmother, aunts and mum. I also remember my Dad taking me fishing before he died several times and we would cook what we caught and eat it straightaway.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Mum and dad were/still are great cooks (mum took and still takes little pleasure from it, but was in charge of weekday meals as my dad often worked late; but it's my dad's passion and hobby, so he cooked on weekends), so I was brought up eating fantastic food. My grandfather was a chef and was seriously talented. Going to my grandparents for lunch or dinner was a treat!

We were lucky to go on lots of foreign holidays when my sister and I were kids, and we always sought out the local places serving local food, so I was exposed to a wide variety of great foreign food as well, and my dad often sought to recreate these dishes, so I grew up with a taste for European food.

Whilst I've always loved good food though, I didn't make a huge deal of effort when I left home! Ate well, but it just served a purpose at university. As I mentioned on the other thread though, when I got my first job and had money and had a girlfriend who loved food, we would eat out a lot and then I'd want to recreate great food at home...bought a few cookbooks and the rest is history!

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My grandmother and her sister.

nick909 and primarycat like this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Greed! I love food!

nick909 and primarycat like this.