1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What stage are your reception class at in phonics and writing please.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cheekychops, Mar 23, 2011.

1. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

In our school there has always been a strong empasis on phonics and writing especially in FS. At this moment in time our more able group are able to write a range of cvc words independently and short sentences that have been dictated using some basic punctuation (ie capital letters and full stops) know all of their letter sounds most of the names and the simple blends like ch, sh, th oo, ee etc The core group can write a range of cvc words independently and know most of their letter sounds and can blend for reading, my other group still needs practise with JP letter sounds, cvc words and blending for reading which i am trying to address everyday.
    Today we have been told that standards in literacy ie phonics particularly further up the school are falling and they want to know why. I do feel that our children get a good grounding in literacy but i am interested to see just where other reception aged children are. like many others i have a lot of summer birthdays so quite a few of my children will not be 5 until July / August. Can i also ask if other colleagues teaching Jolly Phonics do so via the letters and sounds programme and if so is it carried on into years 1 and 2. Thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Jolly Phonics and Big Cat Phonics on the IWB in reception. We continue with BCP in Y1 alongside Debbie's excellent resources in Y2 I mainly use PI. We don't use L&S as I find it too slow.

3. We use letters and sounds and after whole class input, we put the two receptions classes into 4 groups. Top group are just starting phase 5, can write captions and sentences including other phases and are applying it in their independent writing, and understand polysyllabic words and can read and write them. Other groups are phase 3/4, writing captions, sentences quite well, reading is good. Then we have a phase2/3 group who are just taking off, and a small group who are doing phase 1 activities but still joining in with segmenting and blending everyday. It continues till yr2/3, wherever the need is. If the children are exposed to all the digraphs and trigraphs systematically, even if they can't apply them, most of the children can identify them and write them individually - idea is they will have the knowledge and can build on it further. Finding it very successful.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I sort of lumped the phases together and didn't dwell too long on cvc words but included longer words right from the start. Nearly all the class is reading, but there is a group that still cannot blend words. These children can write with lots of support with segmenting and locating graphemes. The middle group can write captions independently using a sheet of graphemes for support. This group can speak a sentence and write it with a bit of encouragement (rather than direct support). They are reading simple books with a selection of decoable and tricky words. The top group are reading sets 3-5 of the Read Write series and are writing sentences independently. I'm doing lots of extra work on vowel graphemes as this seems to be a bit of a sticking point.

5. In my class this year the group that are struggling are the ones who are summer born, have either EAL or no support at home (or all three!). Not saying this is an excuse but it is a pattern we have noticed. We've been doing the same as lots of other posters, working in small groups and re-capping everything we've done since September.

6. The resources that I design for a systematic, synthetic phonics approach are extremely cut-to-the-chase and fit-for-purpose - they are very CORE.
    I include the cumulative graphemes (letter/s-sound correspondences) on all sorts of resources - in the phonics books for Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters, on the interactive CD-ROM, on the Activity Sheets, on the Say the Sounds posters. This means that children are saying them ALL the time - from print to sound for a reading sub-skill, and from sound to print for a spelling sub-skill.
    I focus on VERY CORE activities which relate directly to learning to read, to spell, to write. I alternate the teacher-led whole class session which EACH CHILD doing his or her core Activity Sheet. Even if the children cannot yet 'discern' the target word after sounding out, at least each child gets to do masses of sounding out.
    If schools are doing Full Circle, Treasure Chest, and other group games, these are not nearly do direct and they are not likely to give the opportunities each individual child needs to learn his or her alphabetic code knowledge and the three core skills of blending, segmenting and handwriting.
    It is irrelevant, for example, making up words which go full circle through different words to the original word. What is relevant is that the child can scan through a printed new word, recognised any taught letters or letter groups, say the sounds and 'discern' the target word.
    It is quite right that children may struggle to sound out and cannot discern the target word when they sound out, but can discern it when an adult sounds it out. This is indeed a step before independent sounding out and discerning the target word.
    It also indicates the lack of automaticity required to BOTH sound out and focus on 'discerning' the target word.
    But there should not be these 'groups' of children who cannot yet sound out and blend independently. There may be the occasional child who cannot do it, but even summer borns and EAL children should be able to sound out and blend by now - even if they don't have the target word in their oral vocabularies.
    I am willing to send a link for my Early Years Starter Pack material for a few people who would like to have a fresh start with their weakest groups. The resources are systematic and will give you day in and day out material starting with the core Teacher Modelling Cards. The deal is that you keep in touch and ask me any questions to help you, and to let me know how the weakest group is progressing.
    Some teachers may also like to try out some of the materials with their children who are making good progress.
    I shall provide the EYSP free of charge to the first ten people who would like to trial it - but in any event, the whole EYSP (which is like a programme within a programme) is only £11 as a one-off price.
    I am suggesting to everyone that the fun and games approach is going to be failing at least some of your children. There simply isn't enough rigour in the group game approach. Every single child needs opportunities to sound out plenty of words for decoding and to be able to orally segment words for spelling and to practise writing the letter shapes.
    What worries me also is the over-emphasis on three letter, three sound words. You can end up with children stuck at three letters, three sounds seemingly forever - it is self-fulfilling. I think this is a mistake. I suggest that children should be exposed to words of different lengths and structures from the outset.
    I am very keen to learn if we can get everyone's bottom group 'shifted', so please do join in with this experiment if you are willing.

7. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

"I shall provide the EYSP free of charge to the first ten people who
    would like to trial it - but in any event, the whole EYSP (which is like
    a programme within a programme) is only £11 as a one-off price."
    Debbie I would be really insterested in this as this year I have alot of children that aren't blending and alot more who are really struggling with the segementing.
    My email address is:
    misspggywig@yahoo.co.uk or you can message me through here.
    Thanks

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'd be very interested in trialling this - most of my children are doing OK, but I have a couple who are still only orally blending (can't blend to read yet), and 2 more that are struggling with oral blending.
    I don't want to post my email address on here, but you can send me a message via the site.

9. Here is my email address to those who are interested in trialling new resources:
    debbie@phonicsinternational.com

Please feel free to email me and I'll then send you the EYSP link.
    Debbie
    X

10. Have any of you whose children have a problem with blending the sounds they have decoded tried using 'progressive' blending? This is a perfectly good alternative to decoding all through the word and then trying to recall the sounds to blend them.

Basically, get the child to decode all through the word (just to keep the 'habit' of L-R all through the word' decoding secure) then go back to the first two sounds. Practise blending them until they are secure, then 'add' the next sound. This works for any word of 3 sounds or more.

Also, remember, the 'sounds' don't have to be 'memorised', the letters are there as prompts - if the child can read off the 'sounds' in sequence, either very quickly, or by drawing them out so that one sound 'slides' into the next, they may also find this helpful. Absolute insistence on 'pure' sounds makes this much easier as the resulting words are clearer, so more obvious.

11. had ofsted this week, inspector for early years said 1/3 of children should be writing at level 1c/b by now..... thoughts please???