1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What songs do you sing with your reception class?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by livenkickin, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Hi
    I'm trying tro compile a list of songs i could sing with my reception class next year when we need some time fillers.The plan is to make a little card for each song and put them into a box. When we have time a child picks out of the box and we then sing the song- with resources if i can get them sorted.
    I have the basic 5 little speckled frogs, old macdonald, 5 little men etc.
    Would appreciate any other suggestions once i have them sorted i will add them to resource bank.

2. an idea that i saw it on here which worked well - a song bag [​IMG]
    we made a song bag that had a few items in it e.g. a star for twinkle twinkle, a duck for 5 little ducks, a spider for incy wincy, a bus for the wheels on the bus etc
    the children got to pull out an item and suggest a song we can sing about it

3. I love this idea! am going to make a song bag! thanks for sharing[​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Please please don't use ********** you are supporting a twice convicted paedophile

5. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

I have a song box and my class loved it. I used to also give out two or three puppets at song time to children who were sitting well which was a good incentive - the puppets sing along too LOL!

In the box we have a wind up mouse, a star, a number 9 (Dr Knickerbocker), a dolly (miss Polly), a frog, a doggy (how much is that doggy in the window), incy wincy spider, a black sheep, oh and an Old McDonald glove puppet. There are probably more I'm forgetting I got some resources from Ebay for this and a lovely friend bought me some for Christmas.

Songs my class love:
    Dr Knickerbocker (and I downloaded the wiggles version of itunes for them to sing along to)
    Pirate song (When I was one....the day I went to see, I climbed aboard a pirate ship and the captain said to me etc )
    10 little Indians
    The Frog song (mm, mm went the little green frog one day)
    I'm a greedy crocodile
    Slippery Fish (American song, brilliant!)

Basically anything silly grabs them straight away - they still love the old favourites too though. I'm always on the hunt for new songs as we sing every day and I just love it!

6. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

Ditto Msz - I cringe every time I see his name knowing what he's done and been jailed for not once but TWICE.
    Skip to my Lou
    Do your ears hang low
    Nicky Nacky Noo song

7. When I was in reception, their favourites were the pirate song (when I was one etc), but sung in a piratey voice with lots of actions and silly variations on the rhymes, also the song gonna build a house (I think I heard it on Tweenies at some point). I love that song as it is quite funky and I added lots of moves. The other one they love most of all is called Ants in your Pants which is a song by an American woman called Johnette Downing. Such a fab song. She also does a great dixieland jaxx cd for children with some great dances on it. Ooh and she also does a great scarf song cd. I use a lot of chiffon scarves for the children to use when doing dance and she has some great songs for that. Another song they loved was Peter hammers with one hammer, singing up and down to five, sitting on the floor using hands, feet and head to count.
    Mine also liked parachute songs outside. We did five little monkeys with little finger puppet monkeys or balls. We flung the parachute up and down and tried to fling the monkeys off, then put the right number back on and counted down etc. Another song here was humpty dumpty with a finger puppet humpty. The children hold the parachute really still, listening for when we get to 'fall'. They then try and fling him off. I also played the socks in the washing goes round and round (passing parachute round and round) the vests in the washing float up and down (float parachute up and down) and the pants in the washing goes shudder shudder shudder (children all hold parachute and shudder it from side to side). Done to the tune of the wheels on the bus.
    Sorry a bit off topic I know, but I am no longer teaching in reception and I loved the singing!

8. Hi
    There are some great books in The Works at the moment - 4 books for £5. I have just bought 'Five little ducks and other action rhymes; 'Round and round the garden and other hand rhymes' and 'Ten in the bed and other counting rhymes'. Each book contains about 25 songs! Great just to have to hand when your mind has gone blank at the end of a busy day!