1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What song to sing to setting children in the morning?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by hpoolland, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Hi, I am training at the moment and I have been tasked with finding suitable songs to help the children settle/ get moving during the day.

So during the morning as everyone is arriving I was wondering what you would suggest would be a good calming yet get ready for the day kind of song. I really like the sound of 'song of blessing' out of 'songs for every assembly' Please could you suggest if there is any way of purchasing or dowloarding it without having to pay a lot of monry use it.

2. Hi, I am training at the moment and I have been tasked with finding suitable songs to help the children settle/ get moving during the day.

So during the morning as everyone is arriving I was wondering what you would suggest would be a good calming yet get ready for the day kind of song. I really like the sound of 'song of blessing' out of 'songs for every assembly' Please could you suggest if there is any way of purchasing or dowloarding it without having to pay a lot of monry use it.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Why not use Mozart? There are any number of Classic FM-ey 'soothing soundtracks' available to download that (one imagines) are meant to accompany yoga classes, baths by tea light, and romantic home-cooking dates. It would work just as well with a group of young uns.
    Incidentally (and I have no shares in the company) but there's a rather marvellous series of albums that turn contemporary music into lullabies: it's called Twinkle Twinkle Little Rock Star, and if you think your kids will respond to 'We will rock you' played on fairy xylophone, then go nuts.
    Anyway, the music's just a cue to which they can become habituated; the core of the technique relies on making your instructions clear, and letting them know that they aren't negotiable- so make sure you reinforce the boundaries with rewards and sanctions.
    Good luck
    <em style="color:#1f1f1f;line-height:16px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:#e5f4fb;">Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him. His latest book,Teacher, is out now, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury[/i]

4. I have very happy memories of hearing 'Morning has broken' played during my primary days during morning assembly.