1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What skills do 21st century learners *really* need?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by PookyTES, Nov 30, 2011.

1. PookyTES

PookyTES Occasional commenter

In a thought provoking blog post that I read today, Donald Clark suggested that

?21st century skills are so last century?

He stated that ?Rather than the usual suspects and abstract nouns, students wanted to know how to create and maintain a strong digital identity, be
    nice, recognise what?s learnt outside school, and learn how to search use their Facebook privacy settings. ?

What do YOU think are the vital skills that our 21st learners need?  Are we moving in the right direction or even aspiring to the right
    things?  Donald seems to think not.  It would be great to hear your views.  

2. PookyTES

PookyTES Occasional commenter

In a thought provoking blog post that I read today, Donald Clark suggested that

?21st century skills are so last century?

He stated that ?Rather than the usual suspects and abstract nouns, students wanted to know how to create and maintain a strong digital identity, be
    nice, recognise what?s learnt outside school, and learn how to search use their Facebook privacy settings. ?

What do YOU think are the vital skills that our 21st learners need?  Are we moving in the right direction or even aspiring to the right
    things?  Donald seems to think not.  It would be great to hear your views.  

3. Of course it's relevant to ask what students want to learn, and to recognise that they may, indeed, 'need' to learn about privacy settings and other ways to safeguard their personal information (which may coincide with what they know they want to learn). However, as educators, our role is not just to please our audience - we are not entertainers (wholly).
    I am reminded of the NextGen report which notes that the visual effects creators and gamemakers of the future 'need' STEM skills, principally maths and physics and that computer science we are not yet managing to put across well enough. Students may not even recognise that they'd love to work in those industries, let alone guess that they might need specific, highly relevant skills.
    There's a place for trendy hot topics - but it remains most needed to engage students, not to teach them. They will still work out most of it for themselves.

4. According to a recent OECD report the most valued skills for 21st C are problem solving and teamwork skills as well as basic literacy and numeracy.

5. Thanks very much Steve! It is so sad to me to see children with no sparkle, doing as they are told, dulled with boredom, with no mischief tolerated.