1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should you take to an interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bubble12, Jun 22, 2020.

1. bubble12

bubble12 New commenter

Should you take your observation feedbacks and brook trawl feedback to an interview?

Many thanks

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I have never heard of anyone being asked to bring this. Only DBS/ right to work documents.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Other than identity documents I've only ever taken anything else, when prompted to do so as an exercise.

agathamorse and Marshall like this.
  4. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

DBS, ID/driving licence and lesson resources if you need them

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

They won't have time to look at anything other than basic information.

I often wonder why we created a portfolio when at University and in subsequent years - no one ever looked at them!

As a headteacher employing (over the years) many members of staff I never looked at their portfolios.

That said, I still think it's a good idea to keep one to show yourself the progress you have made.

TheoGriff, steely1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

The only time I bothered to take a portfolio to an interview, the Head basically told me that they had no time to look at it - which was fair enough.

Marshall likes this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

A thick skin.

steely1 and bubble12 like this.
  8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As others have said, identity documents including photo I.D. Some schools require originals of degree and QTS/PGCE, so if you have them handy, take them just in case.

Best wishes, fingers crossed for you!
    Screenshot_20200622-193518_Chrome.jpg

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. RonnieTheRedPanda

RonnieTheRedPanda New commenter

It just shows that everybody's experience is different and that there is no consistency across schools. Last year, coming to the end of a maternity cover, the school had a vacancy and invited me to apply. Having spent many hours completing the form, writing a covering letter, preparing for the lesson and interview, the Head told me he had appointed someone else who had a very impressive portfolio. My portfolio was all the work the Head had seen me do, and been very happy with, for a year. I know I shouldn't feel bitter, but I can't help feeling a little bit annoyed.

So whether you take a portfolio or anything else, whether you do a prior visit or not, whether you have a proven track record, makes no difference. It's all a game of chance.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  10. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

What do you put in a portfolio? I don’t think I know anyone who has one?!

Pomza likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In mine I had examples of subject planning across Key Stages, examples of lesson plans and feedback on the same and examples of children's work (suitably 'doctored' to avoid any identification of name etc. )

steely1 and ajc89 like this.