1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should you do + should not do during interview lesson observation!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Calverlan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Please, share some tips and techniques on how to impress the observing body without falling in the common mistakes that put your interview in jeopardy during a LESSON.
    Many thanks all,

2. Hi

You must show progress. A variety of tasks. Show some personality as a teacher. Good subject knowledge. A good lesson plan with a bit about how you would develop the task if you had more time. Has always got me good feedback!

3. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

If they say there's an IWB, use it - and create some decent looking visual resources to support the learning.

Also, when I've been successful in interview, I've always got some good performance from the class, AND done a quick (2min of 20 min lesson) evaluation with the kids (What Went Well/Even Better If)

Make sure you give in a pretty decent lesson plan - I know you won't have any data on the kids, but put in the same detail you would for a formal observation.

As long as there have been no constraints put on you by the school (I've been told that I have to do something vocal for example), pick a lesson that you're properly comfortable with, and that you know inside out. At the same time, it needs to be inspirational and dynamic.

4. In addition to the above, I'd say make sure that you give a clear aim/objective for the lesson. Not just because that's what we're supposed to do but because it will give your expectations of the progress you expect to see from the class. Also, check on the progress regularly and do a really good check at the end - if possible get the class to say what they've learnt.
    As for the "please don't do this" things (brace yourself) - don't say "wicked", "cool" etc every few seconds and don't patronise the children. I could go on but I'll restrain myself.

5. Ensure the learning objective is on the board and refer to it throughout. Deeper level questioning, including bounce and pounce. I would make sure to mini-plenary as well quite often to demonstrate the progress being made and a final plenary with some self evaluation tied into NC levels.

That's what I look for from a candidate.