1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should unemployed PGCE students do for a Plan B?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ryanbate, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Its getting to that stage in the year where I am sure I'm not the only person who's finished their PGCE without a job to go to in September.
    Whilst not wishing to write myself, or anybody else, off at the moment, what are the best things to do whilst waiting for a teaching job to come along? Or, to put it a different way, how can you boost your CV positively so that Headteachers don't just wonder why you didn't get a job first time around?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Supply/Tutoring/Part time job and volunteer in school/Mad Science/Sunday School/PGL...
    But don't forget the 16 month rule if you start supply. x

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Heads do know that there is competition for posts after all they are the ones recruiting. Do use supply work constructively and push the agencies for longer term cover so you can complete at least a term. Day to day supply is bread and butter work but if it goes on for too long then it can have a detrimental effect particularly if you are not doing regular work in one or two schools. In addition look for work over the summer in sports/leisure activies with kids helps boost the additional areas you can offer.Others have picked up tutoring and adult education work.