1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should they do about sugar then?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 22, 2015.

?

What should they do about sugar then?

1. Nothing at all

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Tax it

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Ban it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Let the food industry sort it out themselves

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So the long awaited report about the damage sugar is doing to the nation's health has finally been published, albeit under duress. Cameron doesn't seem keen on taking its recommendations on board, despite not being a medical expert himself. Maybe he has a sweet tooth and finds the notion of paying more tax than he can get away with abhorrent? Who knows?

In any event, if there's proof that it's sugar that's making the nation obese, what are the options to deal with it?

In view of the fact that the link between sugar and obesity was first identified in the late 50s and has been both denied by the food industry and controls on sugar consumption vehemently opposed ever since by the food lobby, is it something that the industry should be allowed to have any say in?

Is the suggestion that sugar be taxed to reduce consumption, the best way forward? Why would that be preferable to banning it outright? Has tax on tobacco prevented people smoking?

If the decision the government makes is to ignore the evidence in the report on the basis that we should be free to make our own choices about what kills us, will the government then remove the restrictions on the sale of drugs?

Is it possible that pressure groups might change public attitudes by suggesting that the sickly-sweet odour which sugarists exude makes them feel sick and they are concerned about dying of passive inhalation of sugar odours?

Can we expect lawyers acting for grandmothers who are diagnosed with diabetes after kissing their sticky grandchild's lips, minutes after a fast food chain topped up the bucket of Coca Cola the kid had been drinking for free, will be able to sue the restaurant?

So many questions for the PM to fret over this weekend. I hope whichever pub he leaves his daughter in on Sunday, has the wisdom not to offer her a sugary drink while they await his return, or at least if they do, don't let the press know or we might end up with an emotional, rather than rational decision being made.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Cameron is ignoring the report and suggestions because too many people with too many vested interests support his party.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would rather have a sugary drink than one with Aspartame.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

I don't drink sweet drinks, but if I did, I'd choose a non-sugary one. My consumption of such drinks is (at a guess) one every ten years (could well be more - I just cannot recall the last time I ever wanted a sweet drink, let alone drank one).

I like other sorts of sweet things, such as chocolate, however. I'm not positing myself as some sort of sugar-free saint.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Me too, lilachardy, but that's because we have an intelligent appreciation of the relative risks - to ourselves, maybe, more than the dumbass proles. Sorry obviously for any negative-sounding grouping of the people the govt think-tank was maybe thinking of targeting etc etc.
    Sugar is the cells' preferred, indeed, targeted, fuel. It's my breakdown carb of choice but that's because I understand the biochem involved. It's unreasonable to expect Joe Public to have the same degree level pf understanding as someone whose job it is, and twice as hard to make them understand how better to regulate it and why, when it's so delicious, cheap and effort-free.

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Drink the sugar, MM. Just not very often!

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Blimey! You think that might be true? I'm slapping my forehead here now. I was a fool for not considering that take on the matter. Winky-wink.

Here's the deal: The link between sugar and obesity has been known about for most of my life, and for the entire life of many of our posters. Sugary drinks were a luxury when I was a kid, and when I grew up had no taste for them. My build is typical of the people we've seen in videos, marching off to WW2. Generally fairly slim.

How about you describe your build and consumption of sugary drinks too? How do you feel about your build? Who do you thank for it?

8. Middlemarch

Nah, I don't drink sweet drinks at all - don't like 'em! I'd have to be desperately thirsty and there be nothing non-sweet available. Coke makes me want to vomit, even the smell of it is ghastly (full-fat OR diet).

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yorkie, I think you'll find that the link between sugar and obesity has been known for a very long time.
    As a child born just after rationing ended, sweets and sweet things figured highly in my childhood, though none of my family was fat. Tooth problems were [and are for me] more of a problem. My mom often spent a month or two on a low-carb, saccharine-fuelled diet whenever she felt her weight was going above what she wanted. But we all ate rock and boiled sweets etc like there was no tomorrow.

I'm lucky not to have a sweet tooth anymore but I could get fat on shepherd's pie, cheese or fish and chips in a blink if I lacked self-discipline.

We eat butter rather than marge because we trust it more. Ditto sugar and sweeteners.

The latest NICE guidance on alcohol and the over-fifties [ie it's best to be TT] has been treated with the contempt it deserves. Doesn't the government realise that, if we all follow its advice and, by so doing, live to be a hundred, we'll only be exacerbating the problems caused by an over-large population of pensioners?

10. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Sugar is the food of the Devil! Too long has fat been vilified as the reason for obesity and diabetes, but it isn't. It's sugar!

lanokia likes this.
  11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Baggsie offset my Coca Cola addiction against MM's non-consumption.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of the issues is the amount of sugar hidden in processed food. Most of the food we eat is homemade with no added sugar in the savoury things. When I buy things like bread and ready made sauces the sweetness is noticeable.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

They don't have to taste sweet - they're just the ones we all know have lots of sugar in them.

This 500ml bottle of pure orange juice apparently contains around the same amount of sugar as a packet of hobnobs (fruit sugar, yes - but still sugar).
    [​IMG]

Can an Innocent smoothie really contain that much sugar?
    [​IMG]

Duke of York likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I now think we must tax it. Added sugar. Artificial sweeteners are devilish but for different reasons so would require different legislation.

If we can tax fags on health grounds then we can tax sugar. The ramifications for health from sugar consumption are simply staggering. The cost to the exchequer astronomical.

I'm sugar there's sugar in every processed food you can buy. Gravy granules? Probably have sugar. It's absurd.

But sugary drinks? Nobody needs them. Nobody needs fags.

15. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Well, maybe that should be dealt with first? I certainly don't want to find that my food preferences, which at the moment contain no artificial sweeteners, start to include them to beat the sugar tax.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  16. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

That's the end if cake shops and a bag of sugar should be difficult to afford.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I think The Apprentice could be better with another central figure, but who....

Oh, wasn't that what this thread was about? ;)

18. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Good on Jamie Oliver He knows how to skim a bit of cash off the back of the sugar industry. Jamie's 2013 TV series was sponsored by Uncle Ben's - a brand owned by sugar delivery giant Mars Inc,

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, it's the hidden sugars. I don't buy processed foods and ready meals as I don't like the ingredients. I don't put sugar in curry or bolognese myself!
    Fizzy drinks were a rare treat when I was a child. Partly due to only coming in heavy glass bottles, and also no big supermarkets. If you research this you will fin it was a combination of the introduction of corn syrup and plastic bottles that led to fizzy drinks being so readily available.
    I drink them rarely, but if I do I choose the low sugar ones as I find the regular, sugary ones too sweet.....which begs the question why they need to be so very sweet. Surely manufacturers can drastically reduce the amount of sugar in these drinks? I also prefer diet tonic in my gin for the same reason.

20. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm not especially bothered if sugar is taxed but I do wonder if some people will just pay the extra and carry on as they have been.

I've recently hitched up my judgy pants at the mother of a friend of my daughter who came for a sleepover. She sent 2 huge bottles of fully-loaded fizzy pop and a carrier bag crammed with crappy sweets. I'm afraid I told the girls that they weren't going to eat/drink. The mother was astonished when I handed it all back the next day.
    It's not sugar that's the problem, it's people!

Duke of York likes this.