1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should the main purpose of education be? Share your thoughts with the Education Committee

Discussion in 'Education news' started by HouseOfCommons, Dec 4, 2015.

1. HouseOfCommons

HouseOfCommons New commenter

What should the main purpose of education be? What should young people be taught to fulfil that purpose? Share you thoughts here and inform the House of Commons Education Committee.

The Education Committee is holding an inquiry into the purpose and quality of education in England. The Education Committee would like to hear your views on what the education system is for.

Key Questions
    • What should the purpose of education for children of all ages in England should be?
    • What measures should be used to evaluate the quality of education against this purpose and how well the current education system performs against these measures?
    • How much of a focus should there be on preparing young people for employment through focusing on skills such as numeracy and literacy?
    • What role should the education system play in developing 'soft' skills, such as leadership and communication?
    • How much should education prepare people for adult life in terms of areas such as healthy relationships and personal finance?

This is your chance to have your say and get involved in the work of Parliament!

Find out more about the Education Committee's inquiry into the purpose of education.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I notice that this hasn't been posted on the Further Education forum. Is there any reason why that might be?

4. HouseOfCommons

HouseOfCommons New commenter

Hi RedQuit,

The remit of this inquiry does not cover higher education. However, the Committee are interested in hearing how the quality of education is impacting businesses and further education.

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

I hope you will all take this opportunity to share your views.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I hope it is not teaching people to use 'impact' as a verb, with a direct object!

needabreak, lizziescat and lanokia like this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I will be contributing something.. The deadline is the 25th January. Posters from here who contribute could give this TES forum a mention maybe??

HouseOfCommons likes this.
  8. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

Of all the practical, real, important pressing matters in schools today, this committee has chosen to spend taxpayers money 'investigating' a vacuous burning question that will no doubt produce an esoteric answer instead of the obvious, 'to educate children' one.

How about asking why behaviour is always near the top of teachers' gripes about working in schools today? Why not investigate if there really is a recruitment and retention crisis, which the Government keep denying? How about asking what progress on workload has been made since the National Enquiry 14 months ago? Why not investigate teacher workload yourselves? Or stress amongst teachers? Or the state of buildings in schools? Or one of the other really really really important things, instead of blowing smoke up your own bum?

Signed

Annoyed of Surrey

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That must be a hard thing to do unless you are a contortionist. ;)

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

This sort of inflexible dictat is why the education is so inappropriate and bereft of Good Things.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Really? This is like a question you used to get asked in the first week or so of a PGCE course at a university, yes it's been done before HoC, even before that format was trashed, in the days when teachers were taught to think about what they were doing and why.

Is it a question that should be asked? I mean that in so far as it shouldn't need to be asked as the answers should be clear to anyone and everyone in education. That it is being asked gives the impression that the Education Committee is staffed with clueless careerists who are there to make decisions regardless of the value or outcome of that decisions. Decisive, rigorous, robust, three things that education used to be before it was broken by political wannabes

colpee, guinnesspuss and needabreak like this.
  12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Those are not purposes Mangle. Honest!

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You're a little out of touch I feel Eureka.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

I get to say it when I quote it.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll say what I said elsewhere...

We've had State Education for a fair few decades now... and you still don't know the purpose of it? Sheesh.

phlogiston and Mangleworzle like this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

The idea behind a 'consultation' is that the government make education a matter of personal opinion rather than evidential fact. They will then say something like 'We've consulted widely and learnt that you, the Great British public, have many different views as to what 21st Century education should look like. We're taking the best ideas we can find from all responses and preparing your children for jobs that have yet to be created'. They will then sell off all schools to American franchises following TTIP.

delnon, colpee and phlogiston like this.
  17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Even if anyone did know, and I doubt that very much, it does not mean that the same purposes SHOULD be the purposes of the education system, or that there are no other purposes that could be added.

Note the use of purpose, plural. This is the key to designing an education system. It needs to be multi-purpose, even if many believe that how babies make marks in their rusk slop is a first step in ascertaining whether they are en route to becoming a ruddy doctor.

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

As a result of the previous discussion on here I have already submitted written evidence (as part of a multi-author group) and contributed as an individual to the ad-hoc discussions.
    I doubt that the either will have much effect but we would be foolish not to at least try

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

You would indeed be very foolish to try. I can't see anyone in the committee sitting up when your comments land in their inbox and taking note of your pearls of wisdom, can you?

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There is already a lot of proper evidence surrounding educational practice - rather than choosing to listen to the opinion of the Man in the Street, the worth of whose views Sid Vicious was particularly cognisant of - and the government chooses to ignore it. Quite why people will allow themselves to be involved in this piece of nonsense is beyond me.