1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should schools expect from The London Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by RichardBailey, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hi,

There have been so many changes to government policy and funding related to sport and the Olympics since London won the competition to host the games seven years ago. And some key people are saying that there is a risk that we will lose the potential benefits.

I've written a little blog entry about the legacy of the Games -

An Olympic Legacy for 2012 http://bit.ly/yoq5rK

And I wondered what you all thought children and schools could now expect from the Games, Anything?

Any comments are very welcome.

Richard

2. Hi,

There have been so many changes to government policy and funding related to sport and the Olympics since London won the competition to host the games seven years ago. And some key people are saying that there is a risk that we will lose the potential benefits.

I've written a little blog entry about the legacy of the Games -

An Olympic Legacy for 2012 http://bit.ly/yoq5rK

And I wondered what you all thought children and schools could now expect from the Games, Anything?

Any comments are very welcome.

Richard

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Sweet FA outside of London.

4. You are referring to football matches around the country, I assume!!

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

The legacy should be a promise that every primary teacher is paid for to attend a douse on athletics. Should put pay to the classic 'we're not trained' excuse. Lets train the teachers how to do it rather than funding weak coaches on silly wages. That's why the funding cuts from me are welcome, I have seen some money squandered over the years.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

The legacy should be a promise that every primary teacher is paid for to attend a douse on athletics. Should put pay to the classic 'we're not trained' excuse. Lets train the teachers how to do it rather than funding weak coaches on silly wages. That's why the funding cuts from me are welcome, I have seen some money squandered over the years.

7. fair point. thanks.

8. 'The legacy should be a promise that every primary teacher is paid for to
    attend a douse on athletics. Should put pay to the classic 'we're not
    trained' excuse. '

UKA has put in place a scheme to train PE teachers to teach athletics.
    Many Primary teachers are weak sports instructors. Most coaches who have gone into schools to coach/teach athletics have not been athletics coaches but more generic coaches/other sport specific coaches who may have been put through the bottom level UKA coaches award (level 1 as was) which onlyshows you how to control a group in essence.
    TBH though, any training done by UKA would not be really suitable for Primary teachers with primary age children. Not if the coaching scheme for clubs is anything to go by.

9. Let's not forget that the average training time in PE for Primary teachers is currently between 8 and 10 hours, for all activity areas.

10. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

The state of current affairs is that there are sports hall athletics competitions over the UK. A very simple event to train for, UKA have good resources. But there are so many incompetent teachers with no inclination to teach PE, that the school has to bring in outside coaches to prepare the kids for the event, or rely on the SSP to provide a member of staff. There needs to be some sort of course, athletics plus other sports, which all teachers must go on to stop the reliance on outside coaches because we just cannot afford to pay £40 every time some Level 1 coach comes into school.

11. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

But there are numerous INSET courses teachers can go on, some cost some are free. But primary teachers do not put themselves forward for it, as many see the SSPs as doing the PE for them. It's the attitudes of the primary teachers that have to change.

12. I agree that INSET is vital.

But it will never be more than a plaster on a wound if teacher training is sorted out.

13. by the way, the discussion is continued here:

Funding an Olympic Legacy - thank God for Jeremy Hunt!

http://bit.ly/y4CZtB

Comments are very welcome.