1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should schools do to challenge gender stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What do you think?

3. scattykatty

scattykatty New commenter

Sounds good. I'm in primary so it's not as explicit, but lots of unsettling of stereotypes happens every day with turning the tables on 'firefighter Gill' and 'Dad doing the cooking' kind of thing. On an interesting note I just really enjoyed reading Jack Monroe's 'coming out' as transgender post - might be worth a look at her guidelines at the bottom (intended for press) about how to talk about transgender people... http://agirlcalledjack.com/2015/10/...irl-called-jack-i-have-something-to-tell-you/

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Tax deductible, I expect. It must be nice not to have textbook worries.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ours teaches both boys and girls in same class. Same material too.

I do believe that women should be allowed to stick a bayonet in a foreigner's throat if they wish though, and I promote a career in the military to any females that will listen.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They should challenge gender stereotypes. All the time. A one off speaker, no matter how interesting or inspiring, will not balance out the hundreds of tiny actions and words which reinforce gender stereotypes on a daily basis.

7. Vince_Ulam

It's all a bit silly at best and cynical at worst: 'Those old gender stereotypes are bad. Here, have these new gender stereotypes'.

colpee likes this.
  8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

What gender stereotypes do you think still exist, TES_Rosaline? For example, the reason food ads are targeted at women is that they, overwhelmingly, and for many different reasons, do most of the cooking, That's a fact, and observable facts are where stereotypes originate.
    The speaker could condense the talk into "This is how things are. It doesn't mean that it's the way they have to be."

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You can target an ad at women without having to adhere to or create a stereotype. Nobody needs to market tampons by pretending all women like to wear white trousers/dresses and do strenuous activities.

10. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I teach MFL and I certainly make sure I mix up examples in lessons so I'm not reinforcing a stereotype. So when teaching jobs we might do phrases like "my brother is a nurse". That doesn't mean we don't do "my dad is a mechanic" as well - I just make sure the examples don't consistently conform to traditional gender roles. The same when doing hobbies/sport.

I think some things definitely are changing. I teach a class with a large number of very attractive blonde girls who are also in the school football team. And a lot of my Y10 boys are very keen cooks.

Last year, I studied the film Tomboy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomboy_(2011_film)) with my top-set Y9 groups (without telling them the name of the film in advance) and it was really interesting to see how different pupils reacted. Some switched straight to feminine pronouns when they discovered the main character was biologically female whilst others stuck to "he" and others just got confused and mixed up their pronouns a lot. Some were disturbed by the idea that the character was "deceiving" others by "pretending" to be a boy, but by the end the majority believed that their parents should support them and not force them to conform to a feminine identity.

11. xena-warrior

The majority of kids at my High School (nice area) have not the least negative opinion (unless feeling sorry for the difficulty they encounter is negative) of gay or transgender kids. The open, civilised atmos (helped obviously by their upbringing) is maybe what makes kids come out in larger numbers than I was used to seeing in less affluently attended schools.

12. xena-warrior

Cross-referencing another thread, i could have usefully condensed that post into the three-short-word "Scum hates gays" but I have a feeling the swearfilter will kick in.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

scattykatty likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

scattycatty, did you see the programme last night on TV about Robert Cowell and Laura Dillon.

15. scattykatty

scattykatty New commenter

@Lascarina No I didn't - which was it - might be on catchup? But I was in London yesterday and there was an article in the Metro about how the day went - a bit of a weird one editorially though

16. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

When I was at university we had to challenge gender stereotypes by always using "she" instead of the patronising ( apparently) and masochistic ( apparently) "He". Some few lecturers used s/he but this was not good enough. It was the same when I was at school.

With all this challenging of everything I frankly feel that nothing relates to me anymore - in fact I wonder if it relates to anyone. It all seems to be made up to suit some "stereotype" - the metrosexual, gender morphing young, feminist of some non nondescript culture and ethnicity - a stereotype in which all are represented ( apparently). Yet I must represent half of the population with respect to gender and probably more than 60% of the population with regard to other factors.

It makes me want to ask the question - Why? Why should schools,education, .... me be doing anything about challenging stereotypes? It seems media and government have it all sewn up already with a ready made stereotype we should all conform to.

17. Vince_Ulam

The term 'gender stereotype' is used pejoratively as a referent for anything its speaker sees themselves as not. Where once organic, social representations are now being consciously and cynically constructed and those who point out their incoherence are shouted down:

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just guessing, but I figure a gender equality talk gets more self-congratulary SMT backslapping than perceptible reaction from children, who (if language I hear daily is anything to go by) seem robustly impervious to all such advice, albeit most know the right things to say if asked.