1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should men wear on primary school placements

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TheGentleman, Feb 23, 2016.

1. TheGentleman

TheGentleman Occasional commenter

Hi

I would welcome people's thoughts on what I should wear during my Primary PGCE school placements.

I am a 40 year old male.

Suited and booted seems overkill, but just not sure. The school I work at currently as a TA is very relaxed so jeans are prevalent.

Cheers in advance
    TG

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Trousers, shirt and tie as minimum. It's easier to be over dressed the first day and then relax when you get a feel for the school than turn up in jeans when everyone else is in a suit.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We expect trainees to turn up overdressed! Most come in a suit and gradually through the placement lose the jacket!
    We would send you home if you came in jeans-and that applies to female trainees too!

TheGentleman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't spend too much though, orange paint, wee and other bodily fluids can wreak havoc on fabrics!

TheGentleman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh yes, primark suits all the way!

TheGentleman likes this.
  6. TheGentleman

Excellent advice guys. Will start with suit. Was then thinking chinos, shirt, tie and leather shoes. Will add a blazer to that now.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Advice is all good. Take note of the advice re easy-laundering of fabrics. They will need it.;)

8. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would say smart trousers, a shirt and tie for your first day. You can easily lose the tie if it's not required, but it makes a good first impression. I think a suit is too formal for primary, personally.

9. TheGentleman

Fab. I liked your thinking. Smart casual