1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I wear?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sa1994, Sep 21, 2016.

1. sa1994

sa1994 New commenter

Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well.

I have a quick question regarding work wear. I start work next week as a Secondary TA and don't really have anything which would be appropriate for that environment. I think I'll need to buy a whole new wardrobe of outfits. Anyone have suggestions of what I should wear or how much to buy? I am a rather tall female (5' 8") who would usually be in skinny jeans, sweatshirt and trainers. Sort of tomboy-ish :D All suggestions would be helpful.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on the new job! Regarding what to wear - you need to know the staff dress code, don't buy anything new before you find out about it. All schools are different; many are now 'no denim'. Our school would say 'smart casual' - no blue denim (smart black jeans are OK); no flip-flop sandals; no slogans ... the usual stuff. You could phone and ask, or wait until you start next week - but for the first day I would say definitely not jeans. You will be safer erring on the side of 'too smart'. I know of several secondary schools where staff have to wear a jacket all the time - luckily we're not that strict in primary!
    Best of luck and enjoy your new role.

sa1994 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely read the school's dress code and I would add the following.

Dress professionally. Do not wear leggings, anything see through, low cut or too short. It is not a good look.

To save money on clothes, build up a capsule wardrobe so you can mix up what you have for many different outfits. You can look on youtubemfor ideas, but I will give you an example.

Pick out a couple of pairs of trousers in neutral colours, say one black pair and one grey pair. I like bootleg cut since they look flattering and can be worn with court shoes or boots.

Next, pick one or two jackets (Asda sell some stylish ones for £20) that match the trousers.

Pick one or two cardigans that match the trousers.

Pick five blouses/tops that match the trousers,jackets/cardigans

Add a classic style dress that you can wear with the cardigans or jackets.

Have one pair of court shoes and one pair ofmboots.

You can add different pieces of jewellery or scarves to make different outfits.

You don't have to buy all of the above at once;;buy one or two pieces at a time. You can add things as you get paid or when items go on sale.

All the best for your new role.

4. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Congratulations on the new job!
    Pepper5 is spot on with the suggestions. I too am tall and tomboyish, I bought some florally tops which are comfy and not low cut or tight fitting and some cheap trousers from Tesco, I also wear smart black Skechers as I can wear them all day with no pain. I'm in primary though, so I can get away with being a little more casual. I know at the local high school the staff have to wear jackets

sa1994 and pepper5 like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'd always pick trousers personally, comfy and easier for moving around/getting up and down.

sa1994 and pepper5 like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I always pick trousers since as I do day to day supply, I never have time to fluff around with tights getting ready in a hurry.

sa1994 likes this.
  7. sa1994

sa1994 New commenter

Thank you guys!!! You all gave mega advice. I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'll look for neutral trousers and shirts and jumpers I can mix up. I had a look at the schools website and they are all dressed in smart-casual wear. I'll go with trousers to be on the safe side. To be fair, I went to the interview in black slim-fit jeans and they didn't seem to mind. The senior staff weren't exactly in suits either. As for shoes I was thinking of getting some mid-calf length boots. I'll need something waterproof for the coming months and don't really want wet socks in loafers :D Thank you once again. You guys are awesome on this forum!!

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are welcome. Good idea about observing what others are wearing and going for stylish smart but casual. Boots are a good idea for the winter months.

When you choose your items, try to go for items that require minimum ironing as you will be busy with work and won't have a lot of time to iron, so need things with a minimum of fuss.

All the best for Monday.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

A pair of black and a pair of navy trousers. Three quarter sleeved tops are good for this season. Cardis are great because they are easy to put on and off as some classrooms are warmer than others. Don't forget you can always wear a cami/vest under a lighter top so sort out your tops before you go with that in mind. Check washing and drying labels before buying. You don't want anything that says dry clean!
    Buy a well fitting warm waterproof coat. You might be on duty and believe me it is freezing sometimes. Playgrounds can be the coldest, windiest places. A warm hat and a pair of gloves. A lightweight over the shoulder handbag to slip essentials in. Don't take too much as there might not be a locker. Good luck for Monday.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely invest in a warm coat for playground duty. Get one of those with down filling - the warmest youncsn afford.

Don't forget s lunch.

Essentials to put into your bag/pocket are pocket tissues.

venusspecimen likes this.
  11. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

So how is it going?

venusspecimen likes this.