1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I wear to a winter wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chicabonita, Nov 13, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Never been to one before! The groom's party will be in tailcoats, so it's quite posh. Tips on etiquette, fashion and stuff you've seen in the shops all gratefully received! Shapewise I'm more brick than hourglass (b00bs, slight belly, sturdy shoulders, no waist to speak of). Usually think I look nice/slim then see photos later which disprove that theory! So super-flattering stuff is quite important... and not too much cleavage or leg. Oh, and the cheaper the price, the better. So not too much to ask for, then...
    Shoppers and fashion gurus of TES, I call on your wisdom!

2. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Hmm...I see you as dark and mysterious, chicabonita...lol. Dark reds? Jade green? I bought a beautiful draped David Emmanuel jade silk dress for my parents Golden Wedding in October. Like you I'm not willowy - but this was very flattering. Oh - and I bought it in Bon Marche for about £30.00. I've never shopped in there before but I was jolly impressed, having trailed round Marks and Sparks, House of Fraser, and everywhere else I could think of for a smart dress/outfit without finding anything. I always thought Bon Marche were frumpy and for old ladies but they had some very nice stuff actually in the David Emanuel bit. Good luck!

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Pass!

The guests at my wedding are not going to thank me for a similar predicament! Luckily, my outfit is sorted [​IMG]

4. bed

bed New commenter

Indulge yourself and buy a truly gorgeous winter overcoat with a fat brooch and gorgeous boots.
    And a really beautiful dress for the indoor bit.
    Treat it as an opportunity to splurge on yourself.
    Life's too short to skimp.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Avoid those ghastly hats that Englishwomen seem to save up just for weddings.
    Other than that, I have no advice to give other than that you should buy something that you'll wear again and again and again..

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Coffeekid, this dress is lovely- does it exist in shops?

7. Chica, you'd find something very like it on the Etsy vintage section. :)

Belle, wish I had an event to wear a dress like that to! All my friends are married now...

8. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I just bought this for the evening 'do' of a wedding. I'm a bit shorter than the model so it's a more acceptable length for a woman of advanced years [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the big questions. I have Teal coloured shoes that need wearing in (ie not that comfortable) or silver shoes that are like gloves. And to necklace or not? And to match the bag to shoes or is that a no-no?

9. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Oh poo I thought it had a picture. Anyway it's here if you can be bothered to look
    http://www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Dresses/71BI6/Streaky+Stripe+Dress.htm

please someone tell me how to do links

10. Nice! I'd go with teal shoes. Wear them in a bit before the wedding - make them more comfortable..?

To do links, highlight the url, then go to the icons at the top of the box you're writing in (ie, where the yellow smilies/bullet point icons are) and click on the one that looks like a chain link. Paste the url into the box that says 'insert'.

11. joli2

joli2 New commenter

12. joli2

joli2 New commenter

13. De nada.

14. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Oh...I've just tested my link and it takes me to a different part of tes, sorry all for taking up so many posts, I'll try another time.