1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I put in safeguarding file?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by pineappleyoghurt, Dec 20, 2008.

1. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

I have recently become HT without a handover

Want to get paperwork in order asap

SEF well under way, SCR also but know this file is vital. Mentioned all the time but nobody will specify what should be in it

Can anybody help?

2. <font size="3" face="Arial">Safeguarding</font>

<font size="3" face="Arial">The principal purpose of the single central record ( which every
    school has been required to have since Jan 07 ) is to have in one place a
    record that all necessary checks have been carried out on staff and
    volunteers. The answer to the question : " Is a school /employer required
    to keep copies of identity evidence ?" is "No , not for this
    purpose"</font>

<font size="3" face="Arial">Identitiy is checked at the
    time that a CRB disclosure application is completed . The school is
    required to see the evidence - passport, driving licence etc - then confirm
    on the CRB form that it has been seen ,then return the documents to the
    employee/volunteer. Copies of the documents are not required for this
    purpose</font>

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Examinations is, as usual, quite right. The file should contain a simple record indicating that necessary checks have been done on staff as appropriate, the date on which it was done and indicating which documents (e.g. passport) were used. But copies of such documents should definitely not be kept.

4. Should the file include certain policies, staff training and information given to governors?

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I have a list, I think I've got about 25 policies ( give or take a few) in mine. Will check tomorrow and pm you. Also I keep a record of staff training which they all sign and date.

6. fairport

fairport New commenter

Interesting. I asked this at an HR workshop and was told that we had to take and keep copies of all evidence. We were told that if we didn't we were being negligent and breaching safeguarding regulations.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

All you have to have is a column with " documents seen" and tick the box. I also note which documents I've seen.

8. Are there any vacancies in your authority? This bloody file takes up more of my time than anything else.
    In mine I have a safeguarding audit, a report to govs, any mention of it in any meeting, every policy under the sun-even one on how to prevent bum scratching...........................not really.
    Training, induction. The SCR is kept elsewhere
    Now someone will come on here and say what about.....................................................

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrgh

9. isnt it annoying that theres not national advice re this some LAs more prescriptive and supportive than others, advice re CRBs seems to change weekly and is often wierd and clearly stupid but you could fail if you dont follow!

10. list of policies that schools keep re this would be useful

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'll post what I have on mine, which passed muster with ofsted recently ( good, robust procedures, apparently) on Monday when I have it in front of me. Apologies for the delay. Friday was a bit of a day!

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Ok before the madness of lunchtime begins here's what I have in my safeguarding file;
    1. Safeguarding policy
    2. Early years safeguarding policy (same thing but with a different title to comply with EYFS)
    3. Administration of medicines policy
    4. Anti Bullying policy
    5. Attendance policy
    6. Lost children policy
    7. Late collection of children policy
    8. SRE policy
    9. Photography and video policy
    10. Allegations against staff policy
    11. Extra Curricular activity policy
    12. Offsite acctivity policy
    13. Intimate care policy
    14. Whistleblowing policy
    15. Misuse of substances and drugs education policy
    16. Extended services policy
    17. Curriculum policy
    18. Recruitment and selection process policy
    19. E safety policy
    20. Equal opps policy
    21. Anti racism policy
    22. Inclusion policy
    23. Looked after children policy
    24. SEN policy
    25.Health and Safety policy
    26. After school and breakfast club policies
    27.Disability equality scheme and accesibility action plan
    28.Emergency evacuation procedure
    29.Major incident plan
    30. Children missing from education policy and procedure
    31. Governors minutes pertaining to safeguarding issues over the last 2 years
    32. Report to governors on safeguarding
    33. Log of number of safeguarding incidents over last 2 years (anonymous)
    34. Log of staff training (signed by all staff)
    35. Copy of general staff training on safeguarding (annual update) notes.

Hope that's helpful.
    Back to the grind.

13. Do you think OFSTED ever read all these policies?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

They notice if they're not in the file. A school up the road fromme got nti because of an omission in the safeguarding file. They were judged as good in every area but because of the omission they went into a category.

15. Not undermining the importance of safeguarding but that is shocking.

Inspection? Self perpetuating industry.

16. Oh how sweet!
    The thought that any national requirement also had a national solution. What else would teachers do if they weren't all re-inventing the policy.
    Having spent most of the summer rewriting and rewriting a SEP for our LA my inspector told me it was 'verbose'.
    Another head locally did the same and was praised - we compared SEPs .. completely different in form and as well as substance .. same LA advisor.

The problem is our unions are soft .. especially the 'no strike action' at any cost.

Time to realise teacher has become another name for doormat.

17. There needs to be common sense around Safeguarding. All school policies should be in one file and there is no need for separate copies to be with the Safeguarding rep. The clerk to governors should manage policy reviewing with governors and staff. Staff need to sign to say they have read the key policies- that is the point of having them ie. that they are known and implemented. Health and Safety can be in another file. Single central record can be kept on the computer ready for Ofsted visitors to see on request. The most important file is the one with pupils and a chronology of concerns in it. In all things we have to consider what we are doing it for and what use/ impact it has. Some schools are going paper free with Safeguarding procedures. I'm not there yet but can see it would work longer term if I could type quicker than write!

18. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've been Inspected 5 times since the implementation of the scr, ( lucky lucky me ) each time they've wanted a paper copy, with each person's data signed and dated by me.

19. I've also met my share of HMI and Ofsted inspectors and each time they asked to see the excel grid but nothing else. No recent visit in 3 years though admittedly.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've had the joys of subject inspections as well as moving schools and getting "done" twice in the same academic year. Each time they've asked to see a paper copy. It might vary from area to area, but it shouldn't.