1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I present in 6 more classes to Middle School Children

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sisterkathy, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I took a temporary job, teaching Beginning Spanish to grades 7 + 8 twice a week. After Christmas, I will have only 6 more sessions. I have taught them Greetings, Weather, the Calendar, gustar, ser and estar (with only some of the applications) tener and tener express, and AR verbs. I will review after Christmas, but I need suggestions as to what they should definitely learn. Help me if possible.

2. I took a temporary job, teaching Beginning Spanish to grades 7 + 8 twice a week. After Christmas, I will have only 6 more sessions. I have taught them Greetings, Weather, the Calendar, gustar, ser and estar (with only some of the applications) tener and tener express, and AR verbs. I will review after Christmas, but I need suggestions as to what they should definitely learn. Help me if possible.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

What about asking the students for some suggestions?
    That would make it relevant to them and you could filter out some expressions which would be beyond them as yet.
    If you've only 6 more sessions I wouldn't worry too much about 'what they should definitely learn' After all if they're not interested they won't retain it anyway!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is there any funding available to do a Spanish food tasting session? You could revisit me gusta/me gustan, and the negative forms as the plenary. Maybe the Food tech deprtment would supervise whilst you conducted a practical session in Target Language making a Tortilla Espanola or ensaladilla rusa (or you suppliy the commentary as the FT teacher makes it). The pupils wouldn't need to be able to understand all the language in the instructions as they'd be able to follow your demo but they should be able to pick up the meaning of imperatives like 'mezcla/ anade/pon/corta" etc. (Steer clear of anything with nuts).
    You could focus on the geography of Spain, giving the pupils an insight into where Spain and the Balearics/Canary Islands are, as well as the rivers and main cities. So many of them go on holiday to Spain and are clueless about where it is or even that Mallorca or Ibiza are islands off the coast of Spain.
    You could do a session on the Spanish words and phrases that they may already know but not realise are Spanish ... pronto, hasta la vista (baby!), no problemo(argh! make sure to tell them that it should be problema), fiesta, siesta,sangria,manana,vamanos.
    I find that pupils respond quite well to being able to work out what a word is in Spanish, when they've never come across it before. They can work out Spanish words without using a dictionary if told that certain letter formations in English become others in Spanish.
    They can create estacion, especial, especulacion,espectaculo, especificamente,espritual, esplendido, estacionario, interesante etc once you have given them the sp > esp, lly > mente, ing > ante etc conversions. I used to introduce it with reference to Manuel in Fawlty Towers who used to say "I'm espanish" and the explained about Spanish doesn't start words with s followed by another consonant and Spaniards find that sound combination difficult at the start of a word in English and have a tendency to add a vowel sound before it.

5. Hi Jubilee, I would like to come to the UK to teach Spanish. I am always seeing French positions advertised but now Spanish, any reccomendations on where i should be looking and also i would like to know if there is a growing demand for teachers of Spanish in the UK

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Sorry but I can't be of any help. I've had less and less Spanish work in recent years as a supply teacher and can no longer make a living on fewer than 30 days of work (in many school subjects) per year. I'm giving up and retiring a few years early.
    It comes to something when you find out that teaching assistants who can't speak Spanish and teachers who can't speak it either are being used in schools to deliver the language to beginners when there are numerous unemployed MFL teachers available.
    It may be different in other parts of the UK but the situation in the NorthWest of England is dire. I had a one day booking for Spanish in 2011 and another day teaching mainly French. I had 23 days teaching Food technology and a half day teaching PE.

7. I know what you mean. I myself i'm not a native speaker but my spanish is pretty good and a have the added monus of having a cuban husband to practise with 24/7 but i do know what you mean about coming across teachers that can't speabut are Spanish but are in the schools teaching it. I am sadden to hear that the situation is as you say it is there. Hope things turn around soon