1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what should I expect at a new reception parents evening?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mle94, Jun 7, 2016.

1. mle94

mle94 New commenter

I will have my first ever reception class in September. I have been asked to attend the new reception parents evening, and was just wondering what should I expect at this meeting? Will I find out who will be in my class before the meeting begins? Or will this be closer to September?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A bunch of very nervous parents

3. neverstopdreaming

neverstopdreaming New commenter

I'm a current NQT in reception so was in your position this time last year! It will depend on the school but when I went I just sat at the side of the hall, I didn't have to say anything and then I was introduced as one of the class teachers. The parents had found out who their child's teacher was going to be, so a couple of them came and introduced themselves at the end of the meeting which was nice. It wasn't anything to worry about though! The meeting was in June and I didn't get my full class list until a couple of weeks later. Hope this helps!

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This is the point where any customer service experience you've ever had comes into play! As said above, nervous parents, nervous teachers (!), some parents with specific worries, most just setting out to give a good impression.
    But yes, ask the school what they'd like you to do - different schools play it differently.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Smile and act confident, even if you don't feel it! The parents are going to be handing their precious child over to your care in September and you want them to feel that their child will be in good hands.

As an NQT I didn't get my class list until the morning of the first day! If you get yours now, don't be surprised to see some changes by September anyway.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

absolutely expect some changes! Class lists never stay the same, even during the first week you will probably get some changes. So when planning named pegs, trays etc, keep a few spares and sets of things for an unexpected arrival.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.