1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Really, really worried, folks - I have 33 pupils enrolled for A2 French this September. That is actually larger than this year's cohort of 29. This would imply that French is increasing in popularity. Worse than that, the vast majority of my pupils are then taking up university places to study French, often with Spanish, German, Italian or Russian.
    Clearly I am doing something wrong by not teaching them Chinese or Japanese, as Hikochan keeps suggesting, but I just can't help it - French is really popular in my school and the pupils WANT to study it to A Level and beyond. It beggars belief! What should I do?

2. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

LOL, PJ !

3. Honestly Petitejoueuse!
    Are you serious?
    French popular?? Since when? Are those children out of their minds???????

[​IMG]

Of course it's popular, such a beautiful language!
    And I've just been offered a place to train as a French Secondary Teacher !!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
    Someone pls hand a jar of painkillers to Hikochan [​IMG]

4. Good luck, Janna5 - you sound really enthusiastic and that's the first step in successful teaching! Hope it goes well for you - and remember to pop back in here regularly - good place to come when you have a question or need ideas for a lesson.
    PJ

5. Merci beaucoup Petite Joueuse!

6. mpc

mpc

PJ
    You're probably involved in some kind of conspiracy.
    Congratulations on your super uptake, btw.
    mpc X

7. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

All in one class ?!?

8. mlapworth

As I missed all the previous hikochan messages, I think I may have missed the point of PJ's post [​IMG]
    If you have got 33 doing A2 French, that is pretty amazing. (Although, as I said, all in one class would be way too many, wouldn't it?)

9. TWO classes! Also, there will be some fallout when the AS results come out,so it will probably fall just below 30. We are very pleased!!!

10. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

[​IMG] (me green with envy)
    [​IMG] (my reaction at finding out two of my excellent Y11 will be doing French elsewhere)
    Do you have a recipe?? I would kill for those numbers (unless they killed me first, of course).

11. Give yourself a big pat on the back and pour a large glass of something bubbly to celebrate!

12. It is not about French being popular; the kids have no choice. That is why Japanese and Chinese should be on the curriculum so that pupils are given a realistic, international choice of languages to study. If egg and chips is the only thing on the menu, would you be surprised if the customer orders egg and chips!?

13. mlapworth

Mmmmm... egg and chips.... [​IMG]

14. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Really well prepared egg and chunky, home made chips that will set you up for the rest of the day, or poorly prepared noodles in a watery sauce that leave one wishing they had chosen something more substantial a very short time later. (There may have been other oriental options but you can't get the best quality chefs to prepare them, so the customers feel let down!)
    mlapworth................... can you pass me the ketchup when you've finished?

Ian[​IMG]

15. Egg and chip - what a wonderful thought!
    I love the argument that "It it nothing to do with my pupils loving French - they have no choice".
    Eh, actually they DO have a choice - they are under no compulsion whatsoever to take French to AS or A2 - they do it because they ENJOY it !!!!! Now does our dear friend Hikochan recruit similar numbers at AS and A2 for Japanese and Chinese? Who knows?

16. Why are you so insistent that Chinese and Japanese would be the most popular if pupils were given a free choice? Have you asked the pupils in your school?
    When we asked ours,Spanish and Russian were actually the most popular! No pupils mentioned Chinese or Japanese...

17. Hikochan, I know that as language teachers we are sometimes accused of being verbose. Sometimes though the best answer to things IS silence. No, really ... please stop with the rants now.