1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by maths_man_, May 29, 2011.

1. I am just starting the fourth year of my career and I have a point for looking after KS4. I teach in an 11 - 16 and it's a very nice school. My problem is however, the HOD and second will be there for some time to come so there is no way for me to move up. I have had a couple of interviews recently for posts as a normal teacher but at 11 - 18 schools (so i can teach a level) but I haven't liked the schools or the pay they have offered me has been less. The feedback I have been getting is that my lessons are fine, knowledge of maths is fine (i've had a maths test almost every interview) and my interviews are strong. The past 3 heads have 'advised' me that a sideways move is not for me and that i should look for a job with responsibility.
    What is a good plan of action to take? I have been told that I could jump to a HOD or obviously go down the 2nd in dept route then progress.
    Any good advice? I feel as if I'm lagging behind and need to move.

2. I am just starting the fourth year of my career and I have a point for looking after KS4. I teach in an 11 - 16 and it's a very nice school. My problem is however, the HOD and second will be there for some time to come so there is no way for me to move up. I have had a couple of interviews recently for posts as a normal teacher but at 11 - 18 schools (so i can teach a level) but I haven't liked the schools or the pay they have offered me has been less. The feedback I have been getting is that my lessons are fine, knowledge of maths is fine (i've had a maths test almost every interview) and my interviews are strong. The past 3 heads have 'advised' me that a sideways move is not for me and that i should look for a job with responsibility.
    What is a good plan of action to take? I have been told that I could jump to a HOD or obviously go down the 2nd in dept route then progress.
    Any good advice? I feel as if I'm lagging behind and need to move.

3. Hi I am in a similar position at my school. My HOD will be leaving in the summer, leaving 3 of us in the PE dept who could apply for the job. I think I am capable of moving to the HOD role as it is my 6th year of teaching. the headteacher is considering offereing the three of us the job so the wages will be split, each of us having a specific responsibility. i feel i am more capable that the other two so i dont like this idea. however, i am just a normal teacher at the moment so having a responsibility may be a good stepping stone for another year, then apply next year.
    i think for you it depends whether you could take the HOD responsibility straight away or if you feel having a responsibility or 2nd in dept may be the best start. i too was thinking maybe moving sideways to another school but i really like the school i am at now.
    just consider that if you go straight to HOD and you fail in first year, it wil look bad on you, or take a responsibility point with a little bit of responsibility and use it as a stepping stone for next year.
    all the best.

4. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

What do you want to do?
    Are you happy with the job you have got at the moment? Or have you outgrown it?
    I personally wouldn't move for the sake of moving, did you actually want the 2 jobs you've been interviewed for?
    If you want to move then research the job and the school before you apply, the pay is on the information you get.... if it's a main scale job....
    It sounds like you've applied for downwards moves not sideways ones. If you want to move don't just apply for anything but look for something you really want maybe with some responsibility, a second in maths seems sensible.
    Do you desperately want to teach A'Level, if so are you prepared to take a main scale job and sacrifice some pay? In my area most schools are 11-16 so A'Level isn't much of an issue.

5. Just bored of where I am.
    I really wanted one of them and I didnt like the feel of the school for the other.
    I will have to consider a second post perhaps.
    Thanks for the advice

6. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Is this just because you would be losing your responsibility point for being KS4 coordinator? Or are they moving you back down the pay-scale? Can they do that?
    It is impossible to tell without knowing more about you and also the part of the country you are based in.
    It is now too late for you to get a new job to start in Sept, so my advice would be to accept that you will be in the school for another year (although it is feasible, of course, that you could move before that). Then you need to think carefully about what you want to do.
    One way of helping you do this is to mentally 'shadow' your current HOD and 2nd in Dept. Look at the things they do at particular times in the year, the way they run meetings, the deadlines they have to meet and all the different facets of their job. Then think about whether you could do their jobs, and how you would do their job differently.
    This will first of all let you get a feel for what a HOD job entails. It will also start you on the road of deciding how you will position yourself as a HOD and the sorts of things you might say at interview.
    Having been HOD for a couple of years I mentally shadowed a member of senior management at my school. After a fortnight I knew I never wanted to do his job!
    I hope that helps.

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

My advice is, to be patient first (read last para for more details!). Thereafter, in no particular order:
    • if possible, attend a 2i/c or even a HoD maths course - good for cv and shows your school thinks you're worthy of this sort of thing.
    • Over the coming years, look for a 2ic maths in an 11-18 school but with responsibility for KS3. This way, you get to use your previous experience managerially, but also then get the A-level experience.
    • How about looking for some A-level tutorial work - to force you to get better acquainted with the demands of A-level.
    • What about other responsibility within your school, such as in pastoral? Always seem to be so many points around these days for bits and pieces which, when put together with your current role, are the equivalent of a promotion.
    • Ask your HoD for more responsibility - jobs that need doing, such as some sort of intervention work/organisation, etc. All worth talking about at interview.
    I certainly wouldn't advise a downward move - looks negative and I don't think such a move is necessary, whereas you appear to be ambitious.
    I also wouldn't get to frustrated where you are. Look on the bright side: the government won't let us retire until we're 75, and we'll probably need to work till we're 80 to get a decent pension... We hope there are plenty of years left in you, yet...!

8. Some good points above.
    For me progess is not all about having to follow the obvious root through management. I feel that many who are great teachers dont always make (and shouldnt feel they should) good leaders.
    Great footballers shouldnt feel they must become great managers.
    I will write a book before I step into SLT or work through the summer if money was an issue.

9. I would agree with Betamale about how you shouldn't have to feel as though you MUST move up.
    I moved to HOD at a school and hated the extra responsnibiity. The maths stuff was fine, ie books, SOW etc and you cope with writing cover work!
    What really annoyed me was all the stuff I had to do that didn't really involve maths, someone doing a creative week wanted maths stuff, justifying budgets to other depts, views on NVQs. Id on't think what I've written just then is particularly convincing, but it seemed to take up a lot of time when I would have preferred to be sorting maths stuff. Or it could just have been the Peter Principle.
    I took a step down to a different school where I have the opportunity to teach Alevel and really enjoyed the challenge.
    Good luck for whatever you do. And as others have mentioned, there is plenty of time to try things and make mistakes, but there's nowhere written into a contract that means you must move up to SLT etc. I think that other management just like to hear that phrase (possibly because it reassures themselves that they made the right move).

Disclaimer. There are plenty of good HODS and good SLT!

10. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I found myself in a similar position a few years ago. You must be patient and look carefully for the move that is right for you. The right move for you depends on you and what types of schools are in the area.

I was 2 i/c with KS3 responsibility in a small 11-16 school. My move was to a large 11-18 school as KS4 coordinator which as the school was much bigger and was in special measures desperate for good staff gave an increased TLR. I didn't teach A-Level in my first year there but was given the opportunity in my second year. This soon turned into being the lead A-Level teacher with responsibility changed to KS5 as part of a promotion to 2 i/c.

In the mean time you must concentrate on doing a good job where you are. Concentrate on improving your own teaching and developing leadership skills.