1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do to prepare?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Thatsmyloaf, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Ello All!
    I'm getting ready to teach year 3 come september and I feel that I should doing more at the moment. I hve met my class and done the transisition lesson, I've also thought about the classroom (but can't start decorating till August -boo) and how it will be set up.
    BUT! I feel like I should be doing more. I mean, I know I have to do some planning to teach (which I have started) but I have all this PGCE momentum still behind me and should do more

How else have you guys prepared for your new class? Should I make some display materials? Reward charts? where does one start?

2. Ello All!
    I'm getting ready to teach year 3 come september and I feel that I should doing more at the moment. I hve met my class and done the transisition lesson, I've also thought about the classroom (but can't start decorating till August -boo) and how it will be set up.
    BUT! I feel like I should be doing more. I mean, I know I have to do some planning to teach (which I have started) but I have all this PGCE momentum still behind me and should do more

How else have you guys prepared for your new class? Should I make some display materials? Reward charts? where does one start?

3. Enjoy the break!! ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am going to be an NQT in secondary English come Sept- and I feel exactly the same as you!

I think any lessons that you can plan, do, but don't go into too much detail at this point- we don't know who are kids are/ abilities etc. ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Try to make some permanent displays ready for your classroom- I've got Word displays, signposting, rules, rewards, inspiring quotes- all printed off and laminated ready to be hung up- some are in the style of a baby mobile to hang from ceiling. I know you are primary, but I'm sure you could do something similar.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Try to set up a system of organisation that works for you- simple things like having a teachers' AND personal diary, a notebook to scribble random thoughts/msgs/to do lists, another notebook for induction meetings/ mentor time etc.
    look at your timetable, and try to work out a rota where you mark a set of books- I do it by class, but you could do it by subject. e.g on Mondays I always mark my top set yr9 books- doesn't always have to be in detail, just tick and flick, but it ensures I see each class's books at least weekly. Build up a supply of board pens and any other supplies (i've got lolly sticks/ mini whiteboards/ RAG cups etc) as although some schools have sets they are usually grotty/ sparse/ all of above! //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    I've scrolled the internet/ books etc and have got hundreds of timesaving/ organisational tips etc, I am a bit of a geek in that respect!! :)
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Hope this helps, Soxy xx

4. By the way- sorry for the random lines- I have no idea how to make paragraphs in Google chrome!!

5. Enjoy your summer.
    See friends, family.
    Read books, watch films, take up a hobby or continue one you enjoy.
    Sleep. Party. Then sleep some more.
    Believe me, you will miss the freedom to really relax and let loose once your NQT year starts!

6. Echo all this. Love your enthusiasm but it will still be there after a well earned, relaxing break.

7. dalemhunter

dalemhunter New commenter

I'm in the exact same situation!
    Starting in year 5 next year, this is what I've done so far and would recommend you do the following...
    If you are in a two/three-form entry school, contact the teacher(s) you will be working alongside and arrange a time to get together and plan the first half term (hopefully they will have some knowledge of the abilities of the children you will be teaching).
    Arrange to chat with whoever your support will be for next year and assign them some jobs e.g. designing / laminating draw labels with chn's names on, guided reading lists, assessment grids etc. (whatever you need to assess the chn on a daily basis basically!)
    Visit the classroom you will be working in and draw out a plan of where everything is; you can then visualise where you want your working walls / displays to go then.
    And after that there's not much we can do really until August!
    Hope that helps and hope you get the chance to do it because it's helped me build a relationship with the staff rather than walking in anonymously in Aug!

8. My school is an entirely brand new one, abroad, so I can't do any of the usual prep relating to visiting the children and arranging the class room until I actually get there in August. I'm actually quite relieved as it means I really can relax until then, as I have no other choice! I might find some useful EAL resources and save them on a pen/hard drive, but other than that I feel there's not much point over-working myself. I'll probably re-read the NQT standards at some point beforehand so I'm in the right frame of mind, but at the moment I'm just going to enjoy the sensation of finally being employed and try and see all my friends and family before I leave!