1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What should I do? Please Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 861, Mar 18, 2012.

  1. 861

    861

    Hi, I am an NQT and im on a 12 month temp contract but haven't really enjoyed working at my current school, mainly because of my partner teacher who will not allow me to have a fair say in anything. My sister is also a teacher and she has told me of a position that has come up in her school. She told me to apply but the application date is tomorrow and I found out about it Thursday. I told my head that I have thought about applying because I wanted a permanent position. She then told me that I have a permanent position there but I need to decide by Easter. This job at my sisters school would be an amazing opportunity but they will not short list until after the Easter hols.
    So this is my dilemma:
    Do I turn down the perm contract for the hope of another job elsewhere?
    or do I accept the position but can i then change my mind if i get the job at the other school?
    Please help as i really just don't know what to do :(
     
  2. 861

    861

    Hi, I am an NQT and im on a 12 month temp contract but haven't really enjoyed working at my current school, mainly because of my partner teacher who will not allow me to have a fair say in anything. My sister is also a teacher and she has told me of a position that has come up in her school. She told me to apply but the application date is tomorrow and I found out about it Thursday. I told my head that I have thought about applying because I wanted a permanent position. She then told me that I have a permanent position there but I need to decide by Easter. This job at my sisters school would be an amazing opportunity but they will not short list until after the Easter hols.
    So this is my dilemma:
    Do I turn down the perm contract for the hope of another job elsewhere?
    or do I accept the position but can i then change my mind if i get the job at the other school?
    Please help as i really just don't know what to do :(
     
  3. chriszwinter1

    chriszwinter1 New commenter

    Either you are on a temporary contract in your current school or you have a permanent one; you can't have both. If it's temporary, then it will have an end date, the 31st August, after which you will have no job, and therefore nothing to resign from. If it's permanent, then you will have until the end of May to resign.
    If you want the other job, apply for it. Even if the deadline is tomorrow and short-listing is not for another month, that resignation deadline of 31st August applies.
    Do what's right for you, not for the school. Go ahead and apply.
     
  4. 861

    861

    Sorry I wasnt clear. Currently I am on a temp contract. But the school I'm in now have offered me a perm contract for next year. When do I have to let them know if I want to accept the contract?
     
  5. Apply for the new post. Until you have a permanent contract offer in your hand, you have nothing.
    There are lots of examples of verbal promises of a permanent contract that never turn up. Just think how you would feel if the contract never materialises and you haven't applied for your ideal job.

     
  6. chriszwinter1

    chriszwinter1 New commenter

    That makes it trickier. On the one hand, it means you'll have no trouble with the NQT status and that they want you; on the other, you're not particularly happy there.
    If they haven't given you a date or even a contract in writing, then there's nothing they can hold you to. Remember also, that there's no certainty about you getting the other job. .
    I think you should apply for the other job. After all, you don't have the permanent contract in your hand.
     
  7. 861

    861

    Hey so if they ask me before Easter whether I want the perm contract at my current school what should I say? I don't want to be without a job but I still won't have heard from my application either. An I allowed to go back on my offer if I get an interview etc x
     
  8. chriszwinter1

    chriszwinter1 New commenter

    Until you have a permanent contract, which is binding on both the school and you, you have nothing. Once you sign that contract, that's a different matter.
     
  9. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    If this is the only reason that you wish to change, then I would think carefully. Once you are permanent and no longer a NQT, your standing with your partner teacher should change, and if it doesn't, you can demand that it does.
    Working in a school with a sibling could come with its own little quirks, one could imagine.
     
  10. 861 - You are making a drama out of it.
    If they offer you a permanent contract - you will obviously accept it. And then you still have to wait until the paper arrives for you to sign. Nothing has happened until the paper arrives AND you sign it and return it.
    Possibilities
    1. Your interview offer arrives before the contract - accept interview and accept job if offered
    2. Your paper contract arrives shortly before interview - hold onto contract and sign it only if you do not get the new job.
    3. Your paper contract arrives long long before interview - sign it return it and then hand in your notice IF you get the job.
    4. Your contract never arrives AND you don't get the other job
    What is the issue? You seem determined to go for option 4.
     
  11. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    Take the permanent contract if it is offered officially. Next year could be a whole lot better than this first year and the "job opportunity" at your sister's school could evaporate before your eyes - they may have someone in mind for it and you might not even get an interview - they may not want 2 sisters. I understand how you feel but be realistic about this.
     
  12. What captkirk said. :)
    Don't make a decision until you have to. Keep your options open until forced to decide. I have been in teaching long enough to see HTs promises turn to dust. Protect yourself and keep your options open.
     

Share This Page