1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do in preparation for a January depature?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Wilmthrop, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Wilmthrop

Wilmthrop New commenter

Morning all,

The next half-term will be the last in my current school as I have secured a new position which starts in January. I am fully aware of the disruption that my decision has caused and extremely remorseful for any negative consequences.

I want to make sure that my replacement has the easiest start and can hit the ground running. As such, I am here wondering if people can suggest any actions I can take to facilitate this over the next term. I am currently in the process of compiling extremely detailed seating plans and data banks for each of my classes. In addition to this, I will ensure that all books and assessments are marked as well as planning the first few lessons in January.

If there's anything else I ought to do, then please let me know. I feel there is a lot of anger towards me from up top and I personally want to depart on good terms and am determined to do everything necessary to said end.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Having left a few schools at Christmas over the years, I would suggest (in addition to the things you say in your post - which are spot on, I'd say) - NB I was secondary:

• If any reports are due in the Spring term, I'd leave some notes on each pupil if possible (if it is the summer term, the new teacher should have time to reach their own conclusions);
    • If the new teacher is coming in for an induction, ask for cover on that day so you can brief them specifically on each class AND, where resources etc are (both physical resources & what is on the school system);
    • After checking with the new teacher, set any agreed work for exam classes over the holidays (or don't set any if they don't want it);
    • I'd also provide them with my own email address (well, one of them!), and say you will be available for any clarification etc SHOULD it be necessary;
    Hope that helps...

Wilmthrop likes this.
  3. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

It annoys me to hear that you feel anger towards you from those at the top. This is a job. You have given the right amount of contractual notice and are perfectly entitled to move on. Losing staff mid year is always a challenge, but they should confine their frustrated moans about it to the closed doors of an SLT meeting, not take it out on you!

The preparations to hand over sound appropriate and thoughtful. Just don't run yourself into the ground to assuage their misplaced frustration.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree 100%. Staff leave and managers should politely accept it even if they do have a moan in private about the inconvenience caused. Not about you, by the way.

It makes a change to read a post like yours. There have been a few along the lines of "I am leaving in … and my Head is expecting me to … Getting all your marking up to date will be an enormous help to your successor. If somebody is appointed in time, I hope they will be able to come into school for a day, which will give you a chance to brief them. I can't think of anything else I would want from my predecessor beyond what has been said already.

You really have no grounds for feeling remorseful. You have given plenty of notice and are going well beyond what many people do.

Congratulations of the new job!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I've done two contracts taking over in January, and I think you are doing plenty. Talking through the class with previous teacher was very helpful - probably more useful than seating plans. Talking can also be a bit more frank than written notes! Books left marked up to date very important. I wasn't left planning, but I knew what I was due to start teaching and that wasn't a problem. One year 10 class in the second school had a module exam in February; the teacher told me they'd covered all but one thing, and the kids also said this, but when I gave them a practice paper it became clear that they hadn't retained very much, and I had to re-teach quite a bit; I think it might have been more helpful if she'd given them a test on what they'd covered so that I had a really clear picture of what I needed to cover before I started.

The most helpful thing I had, which is something you can't provide, was when the HoD came into the first lesson with each GCSE group. She talked to the class, and said how it wasn't ideal to have a change of teacher at this point, but how lucky they were to have found an experienced teacher who knew the course well and would teach them well. She said that she expected them to help me where I didn't know how the school did things. I think both pupils and parents, with a mid-year departure, are worried that they'll be getting inexperienced supply - I saw this in the other school, where one set of parents seemed to question everything I did until they got the message that I knew what I was doing. (If your replacement comes in before the end of term, you might be able to do the introducing, but I think it probably still comes better from the HoD.)

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'd keep it simple.
    1. Resign (tick)
    2. Do my job (you are doing that)
    3. leave

If possible
    4. Handover to new colleague

Sorry probably not that helpful.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Mm-so one minute teachers are urged to think only of themselves and their 'progression', then the next are made to feel guilty for leaving?
    I would say that offering to meet/help/talk to the 'new' teacher is one of the most useful responses. I always preferred to speak to the 'old' teacher (when possible) when I started a new job.