1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do about pupils mocking my accent and mannerisms?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by roisin88, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Depends on the mannerism. It might be worth your while consciously trying to change at least some. I discovered that I had a habit of counting points off on my fingers, but never got beyond two points even if I had more to say. Learned to stop counting points like that - pupils stopped watching for the mannerism and instead had the lesson to concentrate upon.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

"Well, I suppose I should feel honoured that you both want so much to be like me that you've taken to copying the way I speak and some of the things I do. After all, as the saying goes, 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. But it is a little worrying because to be honest, it's rather immature, and at your age you should both really be learning how to be more independent and finding your own identity rather than copying someone else's. I mean, it's a little bit embarrassing for other teachers to be thinking that you idolise me so much that you are turning into my clones!"

caress, angelahorn, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

This is the worst kind of situation to deal with. Where everyone else seems to have accepted certain forms of disruption, rudeness, disrespect. If you expect to be able to teach rather than to waste time dealing with such stuff it's really demoralising. Not sure what the answer is other than looking for somewhere else.

Alice K and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I would use cool as a cucumber's tactic. Exactly the way she describes it. Brilliant.

Alice K likes this.
  5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

incidentally, you may be writing their reports about now. Have fun! Revenge can be sweet.

6. mh41st

mh41st New commenter

Have these young ladies ever heard of the saying, 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'? Perhaps you should point this out to them, smiling widely.

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

Thank heavens for the latter few posts! I have never seen such rubbish as appeared at the start of the thread. Their behaviour is not racist at all, but simply immature and rude, and this ignorant, pervasive, half-baked, playing of the race card is not only intellectually impoverished but also demeans real racism, which is a horrible thing. Some kids will mock adults for all kinds of things, and accent is only one of them. Do what the later posters have suggested and get real.