1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Should I Charge?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by baxterbasics, Jul 12, 2020.

1. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I normally work as a full time supply teacher, but during lockdown I did quite a lot of Zoom lessons for pupils who could not go to school.

One parent wants these lessons to possibly continue into the summer holidays and perhaps beyond.

The school says this is perfectly fine in terms of safeguarding (ie, the issue of can you teach an ex-pupil).

I'm quite new to all this, so I'm really looking for a "ball-park" figure:

Here are the details:

I am based in the North West (Manchester)
    The lessons will be on Zoom for an hour.
    It will be in hourly slots: 50% English, 50% maths
    The pupil is in year 9, moving up to year 10.
    He is working towards Higher Level maths GCSE and is quite able
    His dad expects lots of homework to be set, so there is quite a bit of planning involved
    He is moving from a PRU to mainstream and has been given a budget from the LEA for extra tuition

And for me:

I have been teaching for 20 years and have a PGCE etc

I was thinking of £25 an hour if funded by the LEA, but £20 an hour if the family want extra lessons from their own budget.

Let me know what you think

2. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

At least £30 p/h if not £40 if you would be expected to plan (and mark) additional homework, plus taking your experience into account as well as the fact you're effectively planning for two subjects.

baxterbasics likes this.
  3. baxterbasics

Thanks

I did think it was a bit on the low side, The work in fact gets marked in the lesson, as we can share screens, or the the young man marks his own work when it is maths and I provide him with the answers.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Few parents will be prepared to pay more than £25 per hour (up north that is)

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  5. baxterbasics

If that it is true, it is regrettable. We all know that London prices are going to be higher, but I can't think of any other job where a fully qualified professional, with possibly decades of experience, in paid £25 or less.

I know it's matter of "supply and demand" but something has gone awry.

6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I would stick to £30 an hour, whether funded by LEA or not.

7. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

At least £30. It isn't true about the NW, people will pay the going rate, of course if you offer for £20 they'll bite your hand off but it's far too low.

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I only ever managed £25...the agency took 25%. Most parents tried getting price down to £15...but then I was serving a poor area.

9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes...in places like Hale and Wilmslow...but not Rochdale and Blackburn. Not many parents can aford £30 per hour tutoring.

10. baxterbasics

There has to be some sort of lower limit on all of this. We can use the old cliche of "try getting a plumber for £15 an hour".

I think there is benevolent attitude in teachers; that because they are potentially changing life chances for young people, they are prepared to charge the absolute minimum.

Unless it's a relative or a close family friend, expecting £15 for somebody with a degree and QTS is just an insult to the profession.

Kandahar and cwilson1983 like this.
  11. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

I'm only basing this on personal experience and that of my colleagues. A lot depends on catchment area, cultures of the school/parents in terms of attitudes to education, teaching experience, local competition and so on. Charging £40 is possible and it doesn't hurt to charge a higher rate and, if you're prepared to, negotiate down. It's much harder to negotiate up (believe me I've tried it).

12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I think you need to be realistic about a yearly salary and how many students you could realistically teach each week.
    (Salary /number of students per week) / number of weeks you want to work. It normally works out around £30-£40 an hour.

13. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Figure in the 25% cut the agency takes and you're back to £20 - £25 an hour. in the poor area I served, nearly all work came via agencies...that word of mouth seems to be more prevalent amongst the better off.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

They are not too keen to pay any more 'down south', either!

Lespaul101 likes this.
  15. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I've never ever done work via an agency and I wouldn't say my area is a better off area

16. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Any business needs to be flexible to survive. In the good times, you can charge plenty, when times get tough you may have to drop your price. There is no point stubbornly sticking to £40ph if you have no customers. On the other hand, you are cheating yourself if you are so cheap you are run off your feet for little reward (me at the moment). We are only worth what people are willing to pay!

17. baxterbasics

I think that is a very sensible summary

For me, that translates into an absolute lower limit of £20 per hour, but I'd be more happy with £25 per hour.

I also think that in a more "balanced" society, both teachers and tutors would be getting substantially more - but without getting too philosophical, modern Britain tends to put consumerism over culture.

18. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

If you are happy with this amount @baxterbasics then go for it. Perhaps make it clear that this is your current rate as you are just starting out tutoring this way; this will leave you room to charge others more if this leads to further work through recommendations.

19. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Another option is to reduce your contact time to 45 minutes @ £20 or £25.