1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I charge?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Grandsire, Dec 8, 2018 at 5:53 PM.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Hi,
    I’ve been helping a friend by doing some private tutoring for free for a year or so (I just wanted to help their stressed child cope better with school) but now I’ve been approached by someone I don’t know who’s looking for a tutor for their daughter. I’m more than willing to give it a go but I have no idea what I should be charging as I’ve never done this ‘officially’ before. Any advice gratefully received!

2. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Subject, level and location are all factors to take into account. Why not do a search on a few of the tuition agencies and see what the potential competitors are charging in your area?

3. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I charge £25 per hour, in the South West of England.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

£40-£45 per hour, London, everyone what’s to get grades boosted for gcse and A level or to get into the grammars. And the cleaners round here can charge £18 an hour...think we should all raise out prices next year! If you’re in the general south east, aim for £35 and £40 for A level.

5. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I charge £25 an hour (Wales) I wouldn’t charge less as parents would assume that I was no good.

6. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

It depends very much where you live and what level you are tutoring. Have a look at some of the tutoring websites and see what other people in your area are charging. Some will be unqualified and offering rock bottom prices so aim for around the median charge.

7. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

Catchment area, as people say above, is key, as well as location in UK. Also, if you travel to your clients, like me, you need to add fuel, expenses and time taken.

8. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

If you are a teacher in a school, then you will be in the minority amongst tutors in your area. So price yourself accordingly. Don't go below £40 an hour for GCSE. Remember how much other professionals and home service providers charge. £25 is way too low.

hoalarg likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It partly depends on how much you want the work. I don't want to do much tutoring, so I don't mind the fact that some people won't pay my standard £45 per hour. Enough people will for me to easily make my target £1,000 per year, tax free, to supplement my pension.

10. decj

decj New commenter

£30 per hour for KS 1,2 & 3. Greater Manchester

11. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I'm in Kent and charge £34 ph. I'm about mid range.