1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I charge?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Grandsire, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Hi,
    I’ve been helping a friend by doing some private tutoring for free for a year or so (I just wanted to help their stressed child cope better with school) but now I’ve been approached by someone I don’t know who’s looking for a tutor for their daughter. I’m more than willing to give it a go but I have no idea what I should be charging as I’ve never done this ‘officially’ before. Any advice gratefully received!

2. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Subject, level and location are all factors to take into account. Why not do a search on a few of the tuition agencies and see what the potential competitors are charging in your area?

3. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I charge £25 per hour, in the South West of England.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

£40-£45 per hour, London, everyone what’s to get grades boosted for gcse and A level or to get into the grammars. And the cleaners round here can charge £18 an hour...think we should all raise out prices next year! If you’re in the general south east, aim for £35 and £40 for A level.

5. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I charge £25 an hour (Wales) I wouldn’t charge less as parents would assume that I was no good.

6. gainly

gainly Established commenter

It depends very much where you live and what level you are tutoring. Have a look at some of the tutoring websites and see what other people in your area are charging. Some will be unqualified and offering rock bottom prices so aim for around the median charge.

7. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

Catchment area, as people say above, is key, as well as location in UK. Also, if you travel to your clients, like me, you need to add fuel, expenses and time taken.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

If you are a teacher in a school, then you will be in the minority amongst tutors in your area. So price yourself accordingly. Don't go below £40 an hour for GCSE. Remember how much other professionals and home service providers charge. £25 is way too low.

Mrsmumbles and hoalarg like this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It partly depends on how much you want the work. I don't want to do much tutoring, so I don't mind the fact that some people won't pay my standard £45 per hour. Enough people will for me to easily make my target £1,000 per year, tax free, to supplement my pension.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  10. decj

decj New commenter

£30 per hour for KS 1,2 & 3. Greater Manchester

11. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I'm in Kent and charge £34 ph. I'm about mid range.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  12. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

What you charge really does depend on where you are, what you tutor and how much work you want. I tutor A level maths and physics and charge £20ph. The reasons I have gone low are that I wanted to be busy (I do 3-4 hours a day) I live in a poor area in the south west with no good schools and I don't prepare in anyway I just roll up with a small portable white board. I think if I doubled my rate I would probably earn the same but I wouldn't be so busy and wouldn't be able to help so many youngsters.

13. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I'm based in one of the more depressed areas of NW England and charge £25ph for GCSE and £30ph for A-level.
    (Maths and Chemistry).

sabram86 likes this.
  14. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

£45 in North West Herts. I teach mainly primary.

15. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

£45 is a lot. Most families here just couldn't afford that and I don't want to help just rich kids. Although the few times I've tutored very rich Kids who attend top public schools I do wish I could charge just them more, but don't see how I could do it. I guess by setting my price low I'm not attracting rich clients. If parents can afford school fees of £30,000 per year they are not going to employ a £20ph tutor they will get a £50ph one. Like any business pricing is key to your success and some customers see cheap as rubbish. Some tutors in the agencies I use charge £60-£70ph but I just can’t see how I could justify that unless the clients were millionaires. I’m more Wetherspoons than Claridges (in drinking habits as well as tutoring).

langteacher and maureenpemberto like this.
  16. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

A former colleague tutors in the Cheltenham area. There are some expensive private schools there and a couple of grammars that are very popular.

She can charge £35-40 an hour.

Interesting that a lot of her customers go to Cheltenham Ladies College.

Like everyone else here has said, location and its selective school existence is key.

Mrsmumbles and maureenpemberto like this.
  17. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

briancant,

I vary what I charge. For example, I normally charge £30 an hour for GCSE maths, but recently have taken on a student at £20.

There is no reason why I have to charge a uniform low rate to all just because I would like to offer a low rate to one/some.

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  18. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

My nearby town has a large private school. Grammar entry is also quite high demand. It's a fairly affluent area. I didn't always charge that. I started low and built my client base first. I am always full and sometimes have a waiting list. The area is key for prices. I think it's good value for money.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. roberwilson_01

roberwilson_01 New commenter

Being a [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], you can charge $20-25 per hour, else it depends on the subject and the student's class you are teaching.

20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Interesting post and worth adding to, this. Yes £45 an hour is a lot, but I used to earn over £46k a year as a head of year. I’m a highly trained professional with twenty years of teaching and examining experience across the age range, with the resources. If I’d gone into virtually ANY other career, I would NOT have been booted out because I fell unwell after 19 years of full time health and would have been earning far more by the time I left. Working conditions in schools are so appalling, we get used to asking for little. We have to value ourselves more. One reason we don’t is why so many teachers are quitting. Teachers are really underpaid...most are ten grand below what their peers are on. The benefit of being self employed and tutoring is that I can set the rate I feel I am worth. I know I AM worth it because my English Tuition is enough to help kids raise their GCSE levels by 2 or 3 on average. This affects A level and uni outcomes and, by extension, degree opportunities. Similarly, the eleven and ten plus kids, who are usually far more motivated and enthusiastic, may have me for two years. If youtake out the holidays, they pay me around £2000 a year to coach their child. Ideally, I have the child for two years, as 11 plus is so complicated and competitive these days and many also enter their child for bursary places at other independent schools. So let’s call it £4000 total outlay. That’s regular weekly support and contact, which has a knock-on effect with the child’s school performance as well. Don’t get me started on now many glaring errors or weak and pointless junior school tasks I see in their books. It’s clear a lot of teachers cannot use their punctuation marks correctly! Grammar skills are routinely tested on many entrance papers, so I am kept pretty busy. So the child gets an offer. This means that they have access to at ype of education that either costs or is worth £6,000 A TERM. That is £18,000 A YEAR. This is the rate of most HMC and GSA schools. I always help get a few kids into these schools on bursaries and scholarships each year. Some will pay very little. Those who make it into the grammars get the equivalent value, more or less, of a £126,000 education for free! And believe me, when they get in, it is life-changing. It makes me feel proud to have actually made a difference to someone who put an equal amount of effort in as well. I do take a few GCSE repeaters and excluded children too, but the eleven plus subsidises them. I also find that it is often the more unreliable students who ask for a discount. I’m looking for committed and ambitious kids with parents who match these aspirations and who have done the Maths on long term savings and see the true value of good tuition.
    Think ‘bigger picture’ with tuition. Don’t exhaust yourself with lots of smaller priced jobs. It’s not an ideal system, but it’s the one we have. So when you look at the numbers like this, forty five squid an hour is fair...I think all of us should be charging as much ad possible, frankly. If you don’t value yourself highly, you get exploited, unless you can afford to cut costs. I just think all tutors who are any good should be asking for at least £35 an hour. Obviously it varies on demographics and areas and the grammar catchments will push up prices, but it’s time we all re-assessed our true value. Rant over!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019