1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should I buy for my first class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alice_bakes_cakes, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. I've just got my NQT post, probably in a year 5 class. I'm going in next week to discuss planning, but want to make a proper start on gathering all the things I need for September, so any advice would be appreciated!
    First off, what should I get hold of in terms of stationary? How many folders will I need? How would you recommend dividing them up? What about notepads? Do I need to buy an academic diary or will the school provide me with one when I start?
    Then, in terms of setting up my classroom, is there anything you'd recommend me buying? I've not seen what I'll have yet, but I'm assuming thinks like baskets and boxes will come in handy. How about any good books to read to the class or supplement the reading area?
    The other area I'm stuck is in terms of rewards. On placement I taught year 3, and they were more than happy with stickers, bouncy balls and little packets of sweets, but I'd imagine year 5 are just that bit too old to appreciate stickers? Any other suggestions?
    Sorry for the mass of questions, I'm just too excited and want to get out there shopping! [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone. I've just got my NQT post, probably in a year 5 class. I'm going in next week to discuss planning, but want to make a proper start on gathering all the things I need for September, so any advice would be appreciated!
    First off, what should I get hold of in terms of stationary? How many folders will I need? How would you recommend dividing them up? What about notepads? Do I need to buy an academic diary or will the school provide me with one when I start?
    Then, in terms of setting up my classroom, is there anything you'd recommend me buying? I've not seen what I'll have yet, but I'm assuming thinks like baskets and boxes will come in handy. How about any good books to read to the class or supplement the reading area?
    The other area I'm stuck is in terms of rewards. On placement I taught year 3, and they were more than happy with stickers, bouncy balls and little packets of sweets, but I'd imagine year 5 are just that bit too old to appreciate stickers? Any other suggestions?
    Sorry for the mass of questions, I'm just too excited and want to get out there shopping! [​IMG]

3. First congrats on your job!
    Stationary- it is a school- they should have plenty. Diaries most schools provide for you.
    Year 5 will like stickers! Keep your class nice and bright- google Instant Display. But be careful first find out what you will be teaching and base your environment around that.
    Go in nice and firm at the start and not someone showering gifts. You dont want to lose them at the start.
    Books, get them from the school library. Baskets may come handy. Im just saying you buy, buy as an NQT and soon get over that!!!

4. *stationery

(sorry its a pet hate of mine when it gets spelt wrong!)

5. Saw that after I posted it, but didn't know how to edit and hoped nobody would notice!

6. haha
    wasn't just you, the person who posted after you also did the same

congrats on the job btw, I teach Y5 and i'm an NQT, good luck!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

School will provide lots of bits for you, but if you want pretty things then you will need to get your own.

I have just my everyday folder as a nice pretty one (Oh and the mentoring ones, so you might want one for your NQT paperwork),

I buy my diary as I can't cope with the horrible dull ones the school would provide. Also they are too big for my bag. (Trivial I know, but hey ho!)

Shopping is lovely, but definitely take your time and think through your classroom space first. I would recommend leaving buying anything until you get in there during the summer holiday and see what you have already and how the furniture works. No point buying 8 lots of everything, expecting to have 8 small groups of tables, and then finding you have to put the tables in 6s to fit them in and so only have 5 groups. Also you need to see what sort of shelves and drawers you already have. Once you have all the big stuff in place, go to IKEA, Wilkinsons and Staples to buy any cheap but nice bits and pieces you want.

8. Thanks!
    I plan to get as much as I can from school, but because I don't know how much I'll be able to get in and know I won't feel confident if I'm not as prepared as I can be, I'm willing to go out and buy a few bits and pieces.
    I'm really pleased they'll like the stickers! I had yr 6 on placement at one point, and when a visiting teacher tried using them they won't down like a lead balloon, so was worried year 5 would be similar!

9. my year five love stickers!

10. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Be firm with yourself. It is so tempting to spend and spend but please don't. Don't pay to DO your job!
    Save it for holidays and fun things for yourself. You will deserve it after a day in the job!

11. It's worth asking if you can submit receipts as well. In our school, within reason, we can still give in Wilkinson's receipts for baskets, sink drainers used as pen pots etc but only if we're moving room and there's nothing in there from the previous teacher. I've also just negotiated a classroom budget for some wet playtime games as there's not much in my new room.