1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should i be doing/buying in preperation for my PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by vuittonprincess, Mar 17, 2010.

1. That does seem a bit excessive.

Anyone else think it's unfair we have to fork out for all these books and stationery and things before we even get our bursary or student loan? I for one am certainly struggling for cash :(

2. Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P... Poor Performance [​IMG]

3. Good luck to everyone doing the PGCE! I did the BEd (Primary) and was tough at times but now I'm preparing my first classroom and makes it all worthwhile :) If anybody wants any advice about anything teacher training related I'll try and help x

4. hannahbanana13

hannahbanana13 New commenter

Very nervous and excited. Have left good job to to secondary PGCE in what everyone is telling me is the worst time ever to do such a thing! But you just have to go for it (I hope...) :)
    Most worried about paying the mortgage and bills as will be earning no money. Even with loan think it's going to be really tight. Have 3 hour a week job, which I hope I can manage to keep up (and see the family!!)
    Have bought 'learning to teach in the secondary school' which seems to cover all the main areas in a generalist sort of way. Thought I could use the library to supplant the information in this book, as a cheaper way of getting info. Plus all these fab web resources posted up - thanks!!
    Thanks for all the supportive advice. People have all been telling me so many negative things, it's good to get some better news.

5. My uni has sent me a list of 22 text books I have to buy and read for September, yessss, that's 22! As well as all the other 'read this and write an essay on it' tasks for literacy, numeracy, science and ICT. On top of that I have to read 2 children's books by famous authors and make posters for them, write 500 words for each ISE placement for the specified 2 weeks before we start in Sept (when am I going to have time to do that the day before I'm due to move in to halls?!) and revise for the skills tests which they want us to pass by Christmas! Argh! I've bought all the books from Amazon so at least they are a little cheaper and got things pretty much half price, but I've still spent £270! I may have to rent a van just for all my books and stuff at this rate because the weight of them would break any car's suspenion! And my poor postman... every day for a few weeks he had to deliver book parcels to my door - poor posty's back!
    I've made some progress on the reading, but this summer is hardly a relaxing break I need before going back to uni! Wishing I hadn't gone back to my summer job now, but I need the money! lol.
    To those of you wondering what you're uni expect of you over the summer, think yourself lucky! Feel free to read some books for me! I have no social life!
    Sorry, ranting. I'd just love to be in the position of having to ask people for tips of what to do / read over the summer!
    H

6. It's so sad and infuriating to hear what some course providers set as 'pre-course task'! Reading 22 books? Madness, just madness! If they are educational text books, I'll guarantee that 99% of them will be of no use whatever for your PGCE, and the other 1% you easily could have done on the course (preparing for assignments, say). And thing about textbooks is that they make no or little sense to you until you are in school and start teaching. The only thing I agree with is reading children's literature - it's a useful exercise as well as being enjoyable - some modern novels are so well written and absorbing - Morpurgo, Wilson, Browne etc. Reading a story aloud to children and seeing their faces light up is one of the joys of teaching!
    If you can get away with it, just do minimum reading, get plenty of rest and recuperation and be mentally and physically prepared for the hard but enjoyable year ahead. And get your physical environment sorted - your study, chores, childcare, car/transport, housing, finance - it makes a big difference, and prepare your family and friends about your disappearing act!

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My university sent me a 5 page reading list with "suggestions" for books to read before beginning the course, with a couple that are marked as "essential pre-course reading". Apart from the essential ones I have also bought several that looked interesting, but what's nice is that the required workload seems quite manageable so I don't feel overwhelmed with things to do before I even start the course.

8. I was given a pre-course booklet of tasks on my interview day, and was told if i got accpeted to complete the tasks and if i didn't get on i could use them to help for applying in the future or burn it!!
    There is tasks around EYs (my subject area), English, Maths and Science. 3/4 tasks for each topic so keepings me busy. Some involves reading sections of books and some is slef auditing and opinion based/experience based tasks.
    I have also been told i need to have about 8 lever arch files and about 6 smaller files. I have seen that Staples has a B.O.G.O.F offer on most files and stationary so that will probably work out handy. I have started picking a few bits up - also from Ryman - took advantage of 3 for 2 and BOGOF they had.

9. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

I agree with Alec the pre course reading lists are an absolute waste of time. All the information appears so abstract until you have gained more experience in the classroom.They cost a fortune too, my advice is to (especially if you are training to be primary) is to brush up on knowledge of childrens literature!
    Have a good summer, (you will need it)!

10. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

NEEDS
    Portable Hard Drive - dont bother taking your laptop into school. OR a 16 MB USB stick but then you wont be storing many videos. Back everything up. you will need to provide evidence that you met teaching standards
    Small laser printer (much cheaper than inkjets) Good for doing those last minute handouts for lesson 1 monday and you will be printing assignments, job descriptions, uni powerpoints, lesson plans, subject literature / papers (for assignments)
    Laminator (costs £10 tescos)
    Dont buy any of the books on the reading lists. You wont have time to read them. Use the library. Limit reading to stuff you need for assignments
    Pens, pencils
    Lever arch files
    As for accomodation, I used spareroom.com and gumtree. I shared with just one other person (professional) so more peace and quiet but others on my course benefited from sharing accomodation with other PGCEs. Go with what you feel more confortable with.
    Make an effort to make friends with the other trainees. You will need them. Emotionally it is very tough. Also some on your course will drop out
    Make sure your partner / kids etc understand how demanding your PGCE will be
    Smart clothes for the schools you will be doing your placements in. Look professional, you will need a reference from your mentor in the schools
    Join a union for your protection. Kids have been known to make up stories
    Positive, can-do attitude
    A car helps for saving time going to your placement and job interviews
    You time - to relax, maintain your relationships with other trainees

11. I am just curious would we need a laminator for secondary pgce's as well? what for?

12. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I'm planning to buy one for my secondary history PGCE, for card sorting activities and the like, and for kinaesthetic learners to explore themes, causes and consequences etc. Laminating will hopefully mean I can use them over and over again.

13. Is a laminator necessary for a Primary PGCE? I have one; I'm just wondering if I will ever get any use out of it!

14. Yeh u will use it, particulary for making resources which can be reused. laminating phonics cards etc. stops them from getting all dog eared as the kids use them. Making generic resources like a score card for playing group games or for keeping track of rewards could be used at any stage so could take them to each placement with you.
    Emsbeth_89

15. Just wanted to recommend a website I just bought a few bits from; it is called EdPlan Books and I just received a really nice diary and wall planner from them. The wallplanner in particular is great, was only 75p if I remember. The diary is also very good quality with spaces for timetables etc and it was pretty cheap!

16. I was told we would receive lots of wall planners and diaries from Unions when we start! Is this true?

17. I don't what it's like now, but NASUWT used to give out nice, smart desk diary, ideal for PGCE! The only trouble is a lot of other students will be using it, and it's easy to pick up someone else's by mistake after a lecture or seminar - make sure you label it clearly with your name on the front! I don't know about wall planner - I didn't get any, but bought a nice one from WH Smith - academic version.

18. Yes we probably do get them but I wanted one which is a bit different. This one was only about £4-£5 and is beautiful! [​IMG]
    Definitely wouldn't recommend Whsmiths wall planner; it's shiny and really hard to write on with a biro!

19. Use thin whiteboard marker.

20. I found an A4 laminator in Wilkinsons the other day but didn't buy it as was thinking would it be worth while, so thanks Emsbeth_89 for the above answer. Will have to go back this week and get it...was under £10 so seems like a bargain.
    I have already got myself a diary but not a wall planner, as i did see on a few topics that they might be given out from unions etc so gonna hold out and see if not will pick up one from somewhere at start of sept.