1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should children be able to do at the end of reception class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 28, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was asked what I wanted the children to be able to do when they arrive as year 1s with me in September. I flippantly said "write their name legibly", expecting a 'Well Duh!' response, but was told "Oh we'll do some work on names then." I kind of assumed that they would all be able to write their name with no problem by now.

After that I didn't really know what to say. I've only had one year of year 2 and never ever had year 1. What should I ask that they be able to do? What would you expect?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I expect most to me able to form letters correctly (including writing own first name), count and order numbers to 10 and know the 44 sounds and use to read and spell simple words.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I mentioned form all letters correctly...nopes not that.

I said count to ten and was told most can, but not anything like all.

Only just finishing phase 3 phonics apparently! How????

What shall I start with in September? Phase 5 to get through it before the screening test and hope they pick up the phase 4 stuff (practise of blending and segmenting) on the way? Or phase 4 because it is where they are at? Not that our new phonics scheme has phase 4...

4. louisea

louisea New commenter

All of my class can write their first name. A great deal can write both names! I have at least 15 children ( out of 31) that can write a simple sentence. They can all count to at least 10 and can recognise and order numbers to 10 and beyond. I have 4 children still grasping phase 3 the remainder (roughly half) are on phase 4 with the other half about 5 weeks into phase 5.

I think you need to assess them as they start in year 1. After teaching year 1 for 10 years and having spent my first year in reception I really did have quite high expectations of them? Maybe that's why I got good results, I don't know!

Our current year 1 teacher (who I swapped with) has not pushed her class, she has found it hard moving from reception to year 1. But I do think they grasp things quite quickly.

5. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

The year ones I got in this year were only just finishing phase 3 too - I started by recapping phase 3 then did 4 and 5. They'd had a ropey reception year for one reason or another but they whizzed through it quickly enough and all passed the phonics check. There'll be enough time, don't worry! This is my second year in a mixed year 1/2 class and the speed they progress at in year 1 is amazing.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I definitely think that would be part of it. This was my first year in year 2 from KS2 teaching and I've had very high expectations in every aspect. My class have made excellent progress really because of this. The year 2 teacher who moved to year 3 has had much less success.

From what you are all posting maybe my general expectations were perfectly realistic, just not happened in my school.

I was thinking about recapping phase 3 in the sense of the revise part and then phase 4 in the teach and apply for the first half term or so. Then starting phase 5 in October after half term. Does that sound realistic?
    Great news. They are going to have to, from what I can see! :)

7. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Yes, easily - phase 4 is only short anyway. I showed the ones who struggled how to find the buried treasure game on the IWB for choosing time and they pretty much sorted themselves out from that! They love it.

8. Don't panic. Spent several years in year 1 before going to Year 2 and remember well that awful sinking feeling as my expectations were (several) notches above their ability when they came in. Spent a long time bemoaning what they couldn't do but this was a waste of time.
    However, I kept my expectations high and spent AGES on the basics - letter formation, phonics (yes, recap then move to phase 4), listening, etc etc etc. Paid dividends. They always make very quick progress in year one if you do this and, I always found, they loved it. Lots of small group work, pick out the strugglers (as you would anyway). I was relentless - if they wrote numbers/letters reversed I always picked up on it. Nagged and nagged about full stops and capitals. etc etc. You get the picture.
    We did have lots of fun as well though I should hasten to add.
    I think going from Yr2 to Yr1 is harder than the other way - the difference is noticeable but not undoable (sp?!?).
    Keep calm, keep parents in the loop and keep at it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (by the end of the year that is!)

9. Msz

We don't use Letters & Sounds so what would be phase 4 is incorporated in teaching the 44 phonemes. Our reception teacher tells me the 3 SEN children aren't secure blending & segmenting and 6 or 7 children are working well within what would be phase 5 (alternative spellings) while the rest know all 44 initial code representations and can blend and segment. Most can write at least 1 sentence independently and some can write half a page of A4.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

It sounds like you push on more at your school in year R, 1 and 2 and get further than in many schools in our area which are leafy lovely, predominantly middle class.
    My DD was one of a small minority class who was taught phase 5 phonics in the first two terms of year 1. Many still seems to be covering phase 3GPCs in their phonic groups at this current time in year 1.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That would be pretty much what our year 1 teachers would say about those leaving year 1!

However the half page of A4 is in massive writing on massive lines and shows little understanding of spelling or punctuation.

But hey...at least they should make good progress in year 1 with me if they start from such a low point. Will make me look like a decent teacher anyway!

12. I have been in Yr 1 this year and all children apart from SEN could write a sentence. MA could write around 5 sentences which were grammatically correct but no punctuation and not necessarily spaces between words (a phrase you will soon have off pat). HA could write about 8-10 sentences and G&T 1 side of A4 in medium sized writing on 15mm lines. Focus on HF words reading, writing, spelling, extended sentences with adjectives and connectives other than 'and'. Children normally come up with a good knowledge of number recognition but not necessarily the skills to add/subtract. They should be able to add/subtract to 10 with practical objects. Year 1 are lovely and I use many of my year 2 expectations on them which means they are very independent and confident.

13. Msz

Can you spend any time with your new class before Sept? I'm going into reception in the penultimate week and will do some reading/writing/maths so I have my own starting point and get to know the class dynamics.

14. Ours fall someway in between this. I agree that spending time with them if possible is invaluable. I've done this for my current class and even just an afternoon or two gave me lots of food for thought>

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No...would do one of those smiley things with tears, but I don't know how unless I copy/quote. However my new year team partner is quite like me and we are both looking forward to working together.
    Oh yes, the same hour or so everyone else does on transition morning or in my PPA time. They go to forest school during my PPA time, so that isn't possible. Thing is I don't want to dump my own class, they have lost me quite a lot in the last couple of months for various reasons (all good, but not for them).

16. Msz

I'm lucky the reception teacher is moving to Y3 so will be teaching my class in Sept and obviously I'll have hers so we are free to swap places

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhhhhh excellent arrangement for you. My class are getting a brand new teacher, new to teaching and new to school, not that they know it yet. So, unless she wants to come in I can't go. (I might well suggest to her on transition morning that she does, thanks for planting the idea)

18. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Another big change for you! It's good you're looking forward to working with your new year partner tho! Who's going to help me with all my year 2 questions now? :)

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I note you realise I could only help with the questions...answers have been beyond me!

But cue a huge flurry of new posts from me about what on earth to do in year 1! You could just extrapolate?

20. Do you not have the wheelbarrow load of assessment data that accompanies the end of YR from the EYFSP?? It's statutory and is designed specifically to inform Y1 practice. It shows you groups, areas for development, trends, needs for focus, individual needs.... The average child scores 78/117 over 9 scales and that leaves loads to build on. It'll be different next year with the changes to assessment but its there this year and is statutory. If you don't have it you need to ask why.