1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should be the state pension age?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 2, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...r-Government-review-of-state-pension-age.html

According to this the age of 75 is being considered.

And 81 is mooted by this : 'And Royal London, the pensions provider, has just published research suggesting that today's workers will need to retire as late as 81 to enjoy the same standard of living enjoyed by their parents. The findings raise the prospect of some people having to "work until they drop" to sustain their current lifestyles.' although I think that is private pensions.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And what will the young people do then - claim unemployment benefit?

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

My dad died at 72. If I have to work to 75 then I'll probably die in the classroom. The government are trying to encourage more people it invest in pensions. My pension is no good if I do not live long enough to draw it. Mind you keeping teachers working longer will reduce the pressure on recruitment and provide an antidote to the "Brain drain". As long as teachers avoid reading the articles on the stresses and pressure of the work we shall all be fine to teach into our 70's. I am sure that by the time I am in my 70's I'll have worked out how to get pupils to remember their equipment and be able to spell Wednesday and February!

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My kids - 30 and 31- will be lucky to see any pension at all and I feel sorry for them.
    My friend got a FULL police pension at 42!!! She was 'stressed'. She's been drawing it for 20 years and feels fully entitled to it. Why wasn't she given a desk job? Appalling.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm 61 the week after next. That sounds about right.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

61. Yeah.

Just another 6 months to go!

7. Dunteachin

What about all the people who'll have to give up work in their 60's due to ill health? Private occupational pensions will follow suit, so you'll have the scenario where no-one will be able to draw on any type of pension before 70, or whatever age is deemed pensionable.
    Can you imagine the hardship that will ensue? No employment or adequate savings to tide you over?
    We might live longer but it doesn't mean we'll be any fitter.

FrankWolley and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Being pushed out as you get older seems to be a common approach by employers.

What accommodations will need to be taken by employers to keep people at work until their 70's. One of SMT was bullying an older teacher in my school just before I left because a ligament problem in his ankle meant he couldn't get up the two flights of stairs to the re-located staffroom to attend morning briefings. PE teachers all seem to have dodgy knees that manifest themselves from about age 40 onwards.

Will jobs alter to suit the changing abilities of the worker? I think it's more likely that they will be pushed out, then what? Disability allowance? I'd rather see the willing young in work than the reluctant old who may be struggling.

chelsea2 likes this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

But teachers are being pushed out after a few years when they become expensive, so how is that going to work?

Edit. Posted before I saw Mangle's posr

10. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

According to this the age of 75 is being considered.

Average in rest of Europe is 65ish. Do you reckon that if we stay in the EU it'll come down?

aspensquiver_2 and FrankWolley like this.
  11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Retrospective changes should be treated as a breach of contract.

As more than 50% of the British population are now classed as obese, and we are constantly bombarded with information about the life threatening conditions these fatties suffer from, are we supposed to believe that this nation of porkers will all waddle on to 100? The "statistics" are fiddled. Who is believable; the insurance number crunchers or the scientists and doctors?

lexus300 and InkyP like this.
  12. Dunteachin

It's false economy, isn't it? People will be throwing themselves onto state benefits like mice onto traps when the mother-in-law comes to stay.

13. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Hmmm. Not sure I approve of the way you belittle the effect of stress. Have a look at Workplace Dilemmas sometime and you might grasp the effect it can have on people's lives.
    Some friend she has in you.

14. aspensquiver_2

Nice bit of stereotyping there, too.

15. aspensquiver_2

I should tell you off for using fatties, porkers and waddle but I can't. You made me laugh.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There is no way most of use can be teaching at 70 plus.the modern stress system will cause problems long before that age. However,combine that news to the continued incursion of governments into pension fund profits started under Brown Osbournes new raids on pension dividends for the better paid, plus a desire possibly to move to Tessa form of pension payments and the end of final salary pensions and there wont be much left for those who live that long.I would assume the hope is you pay your pension and then you die before you can claim it.statistically most men die within 3 years of retiring and woman live longer.
    Can you see workforce's wanting 81 year olds running modern enterprises.......although seeing the age of some of the boards of companies there is at least one place for the oldies other than the grave
    Hopefully we will be well enough to enjoy the benefits of old age!

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, I don't think we'd be allowed to stay in teaching.

We (over 60s) would be manning the tills or pushing trolleys together at Aldi. Nobody is going to want us doing anything else much.

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What tills?

Like those people who used to collect the tolls on French motorways at the 'péage' they'll soon be a tings of the past...

And not every 70 something will be able to push a 'train' of 30 trolleys!

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Speak for yourself dear.i can think of more things I would sooner be enjoying lol
    Dont suppose i will ever get to teach in Africa though

20. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Even longer to save up for a decent pension then. Even the republican party of America is not talking about increasing age for retirement still 65.
    You might be living longer but at what quality of life, what will our NHS look like when present generation get to 75? The bean counters have been busy calculating who will live to collect their pension and how many will die before.