1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should be done about the migrant problem?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Cliffedge, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliffedge

Cliffedge Occasional commenter

Should we set up controls, let none in or let however many who want to come in? Do we face threats from ISIS if we do the latter and have a situation like that of the tragic one in Paris yesterday? Are most of the people traveling through Europe real refugees or economic migrants? I saw this video recently of Syrian refugees who had left their accomodation because it didn't have a tv, or enough privacy or a fridge.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't have tv in any bedroom in my house.

:(

3. Cliffedge

Neither do I actually.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nor do I....however....

I do not think that this thread is appropriate at the moment (at least, her make-up was done well).

:(

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. Cliffedge

Why isn't it appropriate? I agree about her make-up. Her hair as well. Amazing how well people can look in 'jail'.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

We could try not ******* up people's countries so badly that risking their lives to travel in horrendous conditions seems like a sensible option.
    ISIS/Daesh want Europeans to start demonising refugees. They can use it as propaganda to show how unjust and evil our society is. You can't fight intolerance by simply exhibiting a different model of intolerance.

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I fear the anti-migrant backlash will escalate in relation to the Paris attacks and then, a video like this - which shows how a few behave, could turn into a situation where all migrants are classified as terrorists or complaining princesses..........

(and also what flere said).....

InkyP and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It's just been on the news that one of the Paris attackers arrived in Greece as a 'migrant' in October.
    It was bound to happen

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I did mention this on another thread and got my knuckles rapped.

10. Cliffedge

I agree. Recent foreign interventions have drastically destabilized the region.

I'm not sure they even care what we think. Recent tragedies point to that being the case. Their psychopathic ideology allows them to feel they stand above what the rest of the world thinks.

You certainly can't. That's why we have to continue living our lives and discussing issues of concern in the European continent. But we have a problem now and I'm asking what we should do about it?

11. Cliffedge

It would be surprising if it didn't.

Do you really think this video alone has the power to make all people label migrants as terrorists and complaining princesses?

12. Flere-Imsaho

The answer to your question was in my post. Exhibit tolerance. Help people fleeing horror and give them the opportunity to rebuild their lives. Not get in a tizzy over one or two numpties complaining about the lack of TV among the hundreds of thousands who have no real shelter.

Burndenpark and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. Cliffedge

Isn't is exhibiting tolerance to give them food and shelter? The shelter looks all shiny and brand new too. And exhibit tolerance to what extent - to let all in, none in or control the numbers that are let in? This is the question I asked.

14. Cliffedge

It's also been said that one of the attackers had a Syrian passport.

15. Flere-Imsaho

*sigh*

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What is your definition of the 'problem' the migrants present/face?

See there are many ways of coming at this...

1. We have the problem the refugee crisis presents for neighbouring countries like Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey who have taken the overwhelming number of refugees from Syria.

2. There is the problem that many of the refugees are now mixed in with a general population movement from places ranging from Eritrea toIran.

3. Is it the problem of the unsafe Mediterranean crossings?

4. Is it the uncontrolled movement of populations in the 100,000s across Europe.

5. Is it the perception held by some of being 'swamped' or that Europe is 'besieged'.

6. Is it the fear that ISIS are infiltrating Europe through the movement of population.

7. Is it the guilt held by many in the West knowing that it is our actions that have caused the problems in the region overall.

8. Is it the increase on public services in an economically unstable period?

9. Is it a 'fear' of a lack of integration by Muslims into European society generally [although integration is usually two way]

10.Is it something else I've missed.

What is the 'problem' and then we can discuss solutions. Because the migrants exist, so saying they are the problem, not really help pin things down.

17. Cliffedge

Is it so difficult to give an answer?

18. Cliffedge

I've asked some questions but still haven't got any answers.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah I just asked ten. So define the 'problem'.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I may find someone intolerable and not wish greatly to tolerate them. But I may not wish to go so far as to deny them food and shelter even if I thought they'd be quite likely to give me the old heave-ho.

Coz that'd make me as bad as them? So I'd quite like to take the moral high-ground? Some of us are so prissy like that.

InkyP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.