1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should be at the top of the new education secretary's to-do list?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

But didn’t the EEF find that setting benefits those in the higher sets at detriment to those on the lower sets?

And didn’t the government say education should be evidence informed.

And more, knowledge rich? And the knowledge that setting privileges the few at the expense of many is well evidenced.

And ergo, is not the grammar school system a higher set benefiting the privileged few at the expense of the many?

phlogiston and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Take schools away from MATs etc and back in to LEA control immediately

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. flishflash

flishflash New commenter

There are so many young teachers now, many of whom are HoDs straight from qualifying, who contribute to the problem in many schools now. It is really frightening to see the number of young teachers who will not enforce school rules because they don't see a problem with them, who have their own phones on their desk during teaching, who cannot correct students' spelling and grammar because their own is poor etc etc etc.

I would want to put my own children in a Grammar or independent school where teachers are teachers and understand that boundaries, rules and standards are really important. Too many young teachers who don't know what they are doing but think they do in a school lorded over by a Head on £150K doesn't work.

Mrsmumbles and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

Agreed 100%

However, these horrible people who have barely ever stepped foot into a school are fixed on completely the opposite agenda.

5. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Everyone knows that there are no grammar schools in Wales, right? And haven't been for at least 40 years? And yet people from there go to university, become doctors and teachers...miraculous really. I wonder that no one has thought of the advantages of it...

6. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

Get 50 of the primary outstanding headteachers in the country down to London and spend a week listening to THEIR comments about how schools and children should proceed going into his reign! Most heads I speak to want to cut down on photocopying and a return to text books ( eg Peak and Ginn maths)

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He won't do anything.......nothing at all.

Shedman likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If I lived in an area with grammar schools and I had a child, I would want her to go to the grammar school. If she missed out on the grammar school, then I would have a dilemma, as I might well not want her to go to the unselective school, particularly if she only just missed out.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Probably the answer is to use your middle class wealth to buy in coaching to ensure she passed the 11+. That way, you could ensure she is separated not just from the working class, but just as able but not as high attaining children whose parents can’t afford private coaching. Once in, the advantages conveyed upon setting could reinforce the privileged societal position.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Afraid that far too many uk grammars and independents are rubbish too, with rapid staff turnover and, historically unqualified teachers. The difference now is that the teachers are far younger, not tradition independent unqualifieds Who had phds or post sixteen experience. Hopefully international schools abroad will still maintain the high standards the Uk one had.

11. Mrsmumbles

In London, experienced ex school teachers are propping up a LOT of state and private school kids, from year seven up to A level. It’s like there’s no staff stability or money left.

12. Mrsmumbles

And some of them are SO blooming rude and disrespectful,on interviews, i was stunned.