1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should a Year 6 classroom look like in comparison to others?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Apr 9, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Bigger chairs.
    That's the main difference. Pretty much the only one, actually.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Tables too!
    Other than that, we still have a reading area, writing area, topic table, working walls, vocabulary displays etc, ( although we don't have room for a role-play area, but yr 3/4 do) . It's simply the content that increases in complexity.
    I teach 5/6 in a rural school, and the children have a greater degree of responsibility, it might be just small things, they are trusted to organise the hall for assemblies, including conducting the service, letters are not handed to them, they collect their own, they have a copy of the timetable and are expected to have the correct books present, go to the office to photocopy things we need, are trusted to be left in the classroom if I am called out, can stay in class at break if they have something to do etc, hall monitors for lunch ( eg responsible for collecting the younger children for their table and ensuring the children eat! In addition, no excuses over homework not handed in ( too many start the year saying "my mum forgot it, they don't be the end of the first term!) or PE kits missing, they are responsible and no-one else!

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

You sound in a similar position to me I will be making the change from middle school to Year 6 teacher in Sep 2012. Our 5 and 6 are very class based any way, so I hope classroom wise it won't be too different.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

My own view is that teaching and learning shouldn't look any different in Y6 than it should in Y5 or earlier (other than the range and complexity of the tasks, obviously), and shouldn't have a focus on SATs or transition. Y6 classrooms that have the walls covered with revision material fill me with depression. Nothing is likely to turn children off more, I find.
    With regards to transition - speak to the secondary you feed to. They normally offer something with regards to transition - taster days, visits from the year head, team-teaching etc. You don't really need to worry about it until the last half of the summer term anyway. And, most children cope quite well with transition.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

The secondaries won't have any experience of feeding from the primary schools, they feed from the middle schools. The OP will be teaching a set of children that have been top of the school already for 2 years who would normally have gone to middle school for Year 5. If your re-organisation is anything like mine there is not thought for the trasnistion of the 800+ children who will be transfering to the high school from the middle schools, let alone the 200 or so in the first schools. Complete mess! I do agree with contacting the high school, be proactive in trying to arrange things. The middle schools in our system arranged most of the transition arrangements both in and out, so if you were in a similar position they will need your expertise ae a former middle school teacher.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

My apologies - had forgotten this point from the OP.