1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What should a child know by the end of reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by withnail1969, Feb 6, 2008.

1. My son started reception in September. He won't be five until August. He knows about 20 sounds, will write his name and was starting to write before Christmas. He now says he hates writing and feels under pressure at school, in his own words "I have to write 3 sentences and I don't even know all my sounds yet", I've spoken to his teacher who feels he needs to be stretched.
    I'm concerned he's feeling a failure when he's only just started. We've been given a list of 100 words for him to learn, he probably knows about four of them.
    What are the expectations of young reception children?

2. My son started reception in September. He won't be five until August. He knows about 20 sounds, will write his name and was starting to write before Christmas. He now says he hates writing and feels under pressure at school, in his own words "I have to write 3 sentences and I don't even know all my sounds yet", I've spoken to his teacher who feels he needs to be stretched.
    I'm concerned he's feeling a failure when he's only just started. We've been given a list of 100 words for him to learn, he probably knows about four of them.
    What are the expectations of young reception children?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Writes own name and other words from memory.

Holds a pencil and uses it effectively to form
    recognisable letters, most of which are correctly formed.

Uses phonic knowledge to write simple regular words
    and make phonetically plausible attempts at more
    complex words.

Begins to form captions and simple sentences, sometimes using punctuation.

Communicates meaning through phrases and simple sentences with some consistency in punctuating
    sentences.

Are the assessment points for the end of the reception year

The list of 100 words I imagine they have taken from Letters and Sounds which aren't intended to be taught in isolation but as part of the class phonics session using skills to read and write words in each phase.

1. the
    2. and
    3. a
    4. to
    5. said
    6. in
    7. he
    8. I
    9. of
    10. it
    11. was
    12. you
    13. they
    14. on
    15. she
    16. is
    17. for
    18. at
    19. his
    20. but
    21. that
    22. with
    23. all
    24. we
    25. can
    26. are
    27. up
    28. had
    29. my
    30. her
    31. what
    32. there
    33. out
    34. this
    35. have
    36. went
    37. be
    38. like
    39. some
    40. so
    41. not
    42. then
    43. were
    44. go
    45. little
    46. as
    47. no
    48. mum
    49. one
    50. them
    51. do
    52. me
    53. down
    54. dad
    55. big
    56. when
    57. it?s
    58. see
    59. looked
    60. very
    61. look
    62. don?t
    63. come
    64. will
    65. into
    66. back
    67. from
    68. children
    69. him
    70. Mr
    71. get
    72. just
    73. now
    74. came
    75. oh
    76. about
    77. got
    78. their
    79. people
    80. your
    81. put
    82. could
    83. house
    84. old
    85. too
    86. by
    87. day
    88. made
    89. time
    90. I?m
    91. if
    92. help
    93. Mrs
    94. called
    95. here
    96. off
    97. asked
    98. saw
    99. make
    100. an

4. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

How to share
    how to play with someone else
    how to sit and listen to a story
    to take turns
    to put their own equipment away
    to put their coat on
    to put rubbish in the bin
    how to hold a paint brush
    to wash hands after going to the toilet

etc etc

I bet your son has lots of skills and talents.

He is very young and I really feel for those children - usually but not always boys who are made to feel a failure at 4 because they can't write. It sounds to me like he feels like he has a lot on his plate. Is he expected to write 3 sentences himself or copy 3 sentences?

My son is a July birthday and was in reception last year. He is bright but was uninterested in reading or writing because he was aware he couldn't do it 'properly'. He wouldn't do emergent writing at all because he knew it was not 'real ' writing. His teacher said one day he couldn't draw three ducks implying he didn't know what 3 was. When I asked him he said ' I didn't know what a duck looked like' - he knew his duck wouldn't resemble a real one. He also wouldn't attempt to paint anything preferring to play and experiment because he knew it wouldn't look like what he wanted it to. He was lucky because his teacher was fantastic (and had a son with the same name now grown up who also was a summer birthday and very similar in lots of ways). She didn't put pressure on him to write but was always positive and enthusiastic. He now loves to write and will sit and write a story at home.

Has your son ever play written / pretended to write by scribbling etc? Mine never did. He can now read (aged 5) virtually anything and spells nearly as well.

Giving you 100 words seems a bit unhelpful. Were you given any guidance about how to use them?

I would get out the 4 he knows and play games with them. Then add one in at a time. Wait until he is confident before adding another one. Take it slowly. Try putting them on the floor - Can you stand on...? Which one begins with ...? How many start with the same letter etc. Do any have the same number of letters?
    When I taught year1 we had 45 words (from the literacy strategy I believe) which they should be able to read at the end of year R and we then taught them to spell them in year 1. (well the ones they didn't know. I'm afraid I don't have the list.

Do go and see his teacher. I'mm sure she doesn't want him to hate writing.

good luck

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Squirrel, my boys were the same. They wanted to do things properly. They always asked how to spell words (and remembered if they were told) because they didn't want to spell things wrong. They hated it when the teacher told them to write it how they thought it was!

I can't think of anything more silly than giving a four year old a list of words 'to learn'. It's much better to learn them as part of the process of reading and writing, not in isolation.

6. sadika

sadika New commenter

Hopefully you've been given the 100 word list as "information" ie what the children will be learning about in school throughout the year ... rather than a list you and he have to plough through (how off-putting that would be!).
    What sort of "sentences" is he expected to write? My higher ability groups do write 2 or 3 - mainly composed of cvcs and words such as "the" "like". At this stage ie 1/2 way through Reception year I do not expect children who don't know all their sounds (and the grapheme - and remember recognising a sound and then remembering the correct letter shape is a further skill ...) to be writing anything like that amount. Is he expected to do this writing with his teacher ie as a focused writing session? shared writing or independently?

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

PS Meant to add I would support his learning of the sounds so he is very confident in recognising all of them and blending/segmenting - once he can do that the world is his oyster and the rest will follow!!! Don't let him get hung up over the writing - lots of praise for what he can do!! I'm surprised his teacher feels he needs "stretching" at this stage - given he's got plenty of sounds to learn.
    "It's a marathon and not a sprint" is a little saying I'm fond of - ie take time to build a firm foundation.

8. sadika

sadika New commenter

PS If you post this on "Early Years" I'm sure you'll have a lot of replies like ours above!!!

9. what about numeracy, what numbers are they expected to know?