1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what shall i plan to do with reception class,

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire_owen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Having returned from maternity leave I am going to be in reception one day a week starting next week. I have to do some planning and I wondered if anyone had some ideas. I know what reception learn but I have never been in a class so early in the year. I am not sure if the 2nd/3rd week back is too early to do any number work or literacy work?
    I wasn't going to do any whole class stuff but was going to do groups of work doing a number game, like picking out numbers and counting out objects to match the number or doing actions to match the number etc. Something like that while the rest of them do planning. Is this too hard though? Should I stick to just counting out objects to match numbers so early in the year?
    Also, with literacy again is it too early to do anything using phonics, like playing games with sounds like picking objects beginning/ending with certain sounds. I guess the first sound would be S from SAPTIN?
    Was thinking about some sort of art in the afternoon, like printing with leaves but don't think it's quite time for the leaves to drop off the trees yet. So was thinking about story about a family and then drawing/painting their own family. Any good?

2. Having returned from maternity leave I am going to be in reception one day a week starting next week. I have to do some planning and I wondered if anyone had some ideas. I know what reception learn but I have never been in a class so early in the year. I am not sure if the 2nd/3rd week back is too early to do any number work or literacy work?
    I wasn't going to do any whole class stuff but was going to do groups of work doing a number game, like picking out numbers and counting out objects to match the number or doing actions to match the number etc. Something like that while the rest of them do planning. Is this too hard though? Should I stick to just counting out objects to match numbers so early in the year?
    Also, with literacy again is it too early to do anything using phonics, like playing games with sounds like picking objects beginning/ending with certain sounds. I guess the first sound would be S from SAPTIN?
    Was thinking about some sort of art in the afternoon, like printing with leaves but don't think it's quite time for the leaves to drop off the trees yet. So was thinking about story about a family and then drawing/painting their own family. Any good?

3. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Can you speak to whoever is teaching the other 4 days and take the lead from them? Surely they will want to know what you will be doing with their class?
    Also it really depends on the cohort you have, have they been through Nursery in your school, how many of them are there, do you have a TA, what stage in development matters are they at?
    As it's your first day with them maybe do a whole day based around one of your favourite stories which could include lots of S&L, some writing / mark making and lots of art. Am sure you could think of a way to link some number work as well. As for phonics again check with the other teacher as depending on the children's experiences before Reception they may have started on satpin already in which case you need to know where they are. If you can't check then maybe do some oral blending / segmenting or rhyming activities as in Phase One L&S.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it isn't.
    Counting songs/rhymes keep it practical
    Pattern thread fruit onto skewers in a pattern grape strawberry grape strawberry ...
    Retelling stories with puppets or acting out the story
    I always start phonics on the first day of reception so would be on the third set of sounds next week

5. Thanks so much for your ideas.
    No, I am not going to get the chance to speak to the other teacher. I imagine I will get a TA but I haven't met him/her yet and I find they are sometimes really helpful and sometimes completely unhelpful so I don't want to reply of asking them.
    I hadn't thought of patterns or rhyming but they are great ideas and I will do that. Very practical and fun. I am not sure what resources they will have either so it's easy for me to take stuff with me.