1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What shall I do? Would really appreciate some advice

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by wonderyears, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice. I've been wanting to try living abroad for ages so my partner and I decided to move to his home country. I applied for a job in school A I was really keen on. I had a skype interview but didn't get the job. Still determined to move as we'd been talking about it for ages, I sent my CV to other schools I was able to work at.
    After several meetings with a headteacher, I signed a contract with school B. Two weeks later, school A who had rejected me initially offered me a job with a much more attractive offer of PD and salary. I was very tempted but knew that I needed to stick to my word and reject their offer as I'd signed a contract with school B.
    I'm now beginning to realise that although school B I'm at now is fine and the staff are amazing, there is no PD for me and have been really struggling financially as they're not very generous with their salaries.
    I am now starting to look for other jobs as would really like to stay in the country but if nothing comes up will have to move back to London for financial reasons. Ideally I would really love to be working at school A which initially didn't want me and I've heard such great things about it since I've been here.
    Do you think I've completely blown it with school A? Should I let them know that I would still be really interested in working there even though there are no jobs out at the moment?
    Or should I wait and see if a job is advertised and apply for it in the hope that they may consider me again?
    Thanks everyone:)
     
  2. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice. I've been wanting to try living abroad for ages so my partner and I decided to move to his home country. I applied for a job in school A I was really keen on. I had a skype interview but didn't get the job. Still determined to move as we'd been talking about it for ages, I sent my CV to other schools I was able to work at.
    After several meetings with a headteacher, I signed a contract with school B. Two weeks later, school A who had rejected me initially offered me a job with a much more attractive offer of PD and salary. I was very tempted but knew that I needed to stick to my word and reject their offer as I'd signed a contract with school B.
    I'm now beginning to realise that although school B I'm at now is fine and the staff are amazing, there is no PD for me and have been really struggling financially as they're not very generous with their salaries.
    I am now starting to look for other jobs as would really like to stay in the country but if nothing comes up will have to move back to London for financial reasons. Ideally I would really love to be working at school A which initially didn't want me and I've heard such great things about it since I've been here.
    Do you think I've completely blown it with school A? Should I let them know that I would still be really interested in working there even though there are no jobs out at the moment?
    Or should I wait and see if a job is advertised and apply for it in the hope that they may consider me again?
    Thanks everyone:)
     
  3. SMT dude

    SMT dude New commenter

    No-brainer. Of course you should.
    Are you in one of those countries where school B, as current employer, has your passport locked away in the safe and will burn it and kidnap your children if you go within a mile of school A?
    If not, you have absolutely nothing to lose.
    School A will be pleased that you are already adapted and enjoying the country and regard them as the better outfit.
    Of course you should tell them you are interested if anything comes up - while also making it clear that you would not break your contract and let down those amazing colleagues at school B.
     
  4. Thanks so much for your advice.
    I was just worried I may have annoyed school A by turning them down after being so keen the first time. Ha ha, luckily my current school is not so mean and I don't want to let anyone down.
    I will contact the other school, thanks again you've made me feel much better.

     

Share This Page